PA Stats 1v1 ladder map pool

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by elodea, September 15, 2014.

1. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Right here or you can pm me :)

Just state the map name and share it on the default system sharing folder.
  2. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

Cross back ranked would have been a good map if there only were the 2 good spawns. There are sadly 2 very poor spawns. One having only 1 metal and the other one with okay metal, but no space for building factories and hard expansion. If you get both those spawns it is basically gg already. (If you're playing against a decent opponent)

I don't want a map where you need luck to get a fair match :(
  3. elodea

This is true. As has been stated, the maps were unbalanced due to an uber patch changing the metal distribution patterns.

Don't worry though, balanced maps are on their way.
  4. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

What will hapen to pa stats i wonder with a possible uber ladder around the bend?
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Once Uber has a working ladder PA Stats matchmaking will be removed and no longer supported. Nothing else will change for PA Stats though.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

At least at first - probably not much. PA Stats still has a lot of benefits that don't exist in vanilla, like that list of recent games and an impressive amount of data stored for each one. The ladder might go away eventually, but I'm concerned about the quality of the official ladder maps unless they do something really surprising.

*Edit*
    Apparently cola plans to shut it down. ;)
    elodea and totalannihilation like this.
  7. cola_colin

There is no point in having 2 matchmaking systems. Though yes, if the ladders maps by Uber suck really hard I mightt keep the matchmaking online for a bit. But I keeping it working is work and if there is a valid replacement by Uber that everybody can use out of the box then I won't put in that work anymore.
  8. elodea

Let's hope uber doesn't blunder this up then. Pure rng ladder maps is the worst.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  9. judicatorofgenocide

"Rng"?

I also don't think it's gonna be a ladder based on jabbles statements.

The community was getting hyped about uber ladder, and he was like oop I think I'll wait next time till I do this when I can put out more info.

Makes me think he is letting us down gently. My bet is Colin is right it's some kind of achievements.

Though I would be pleased to be incorrect.
  10. cola_colin

RNG = Random.
    Imagine the Uber ladder just uses purely random maps. They are usually imbalanced.
  11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Achievements usually are not different colors. But ranks are.
  12. judicatorofgenocide

Got ya,Thx for knowledge bomb, and as a huge fan of your play during alpha,beta I have another question.

Why aren't you number 1 or at least in the top ten on ladder anymore?

Does the balance not suit your playstyle, or you stepped away from your competitive nature to mod and keep community happy?

Loved your vids back in the day listening to metal building metal everywhere attacking everywhere, going to t2 like a God and mashing "cheesy" imho players like who was it godde/gunshin that always tried to com rush your macro MIGHT.
  13. judicatorofgenocide

I would cheer when you the macro king would hold the hyper aggressive players, and then steam roll them with your greatness.

Then I would try to find ways to streamline and implement your play with my puny 120 apm compared to your like 300 a pm.

Ah how I miss those days. Where macro had a chance.
  14. cola_colin

I am sure those days will come back. Worst case by perfecting the dox spam to a level where all high level players just do it so perfectly that they can't beat each other without actually expanding again. Best case by balance improvements. Actually not, the best case is by myself finding a way to crash dox spam by expanding early :p

I'll play PA again probably not far in the future :) When I started my current modding streak I had a bunch of things in mind that were supposed to be impossible that I wanted to tackle, mainly scaling down units, minimaps and map making. I've now tackled them all and more or less made them possible.
    If Uber should start a ladder in the next weeks I might actually start to play again, though I admit I'd love it if the ladder would start in combination with a few balance tweaks that nerf dox raiding. Having to perfect a 1 engineer build so I may be able to fend of rushers before I am allowed to expand would suck. 1 engineer. ONE. It reminds of SupCom2 :S

EDIT:
    Dreaming aloud: Uber should make a ladder, implement the API for map making so the map editor I made can be much easier used. Then make a mapping contest and take the best maps as ladder maps.
  15. cptconundrum

Keep in mind that the original PA Stats ladder maps were mostly all 900+ radius planets. What we have now are very small rush maps that don't favor expansion. If we start playing the right maps, the only question left is whether air spam is balanced.
    Quitch and elodea like this.
  16. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The vid of me vs Uggeli that's on both Brian and Marshall's channels highlights significant pathing issues for one of the spawns on Station 3 that put me at a fairly significant disadvantage in mid game. Not blaming my loss on the pathing (it was much more due to a lack of early production coming from me) but it certainly didn't help and I'd advise reviewing the system and if you can't get the pathing satisfactory around all of the spawns removing it.

I haven't been able to play in ~3 weeks so if the map wasn't ever fixed for the new metal distribution you can ignore this post. :)
  17. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I'm sure doing something good to one spawn would do something bad to another with the weird pathing bugs.
  18. elodea

hrm it's a tough situation really..

Those crevices were there to create chokes and interesting terrain for an otherwise very open 360 degree spawn. They were also supposed to help players learn where spawns were on the map via landmark recognition.

I like my crevices :x, but that said the pathing certainly does have problems with terrain obstacles, which creates detrimental gameplay effects. I'll see what i can do
  19. judicatorofgenocide

So then how about we add half 900 radius planets to ladder pool, taking out most common vetoed maps.

Then we can see if air spam is as powerful as theory crafted.

We can also see if macro stands a chance vs hyper aggression.

My theory is air spam won't be as powerful as you think.

An earlier airfactory will be built to guide the hyper aggression attack through scouting, and macro play will still be so inferior it won't be used in evenly ranked competitive games.

This is just my theory with factory first combined with extra com eng balance situation we have today.

Would loved to be proved wrong, and by simply having diversified map pool create both playstyles both valid in there situational environments.

This would make both spectating and playing so much more enjoyable!
  20. cptconundrum

There will be at least one larger map in the new map pool.