A small teaser on our next update

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 14, 2014.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Just to reiterate the original post "Bit early for me to be able to share details, but I will be adding more to this as we get more estimates this week." will share more when I have it to share :)
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

4 posts in last 20 seconds.. woah
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I don't understand. Why is is a bit early to share details?
  4. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Because when we say we are going to release X feature on X date, we want to be as positive as we can that we are going to be able to do it. So, rather than keep quiet and say nothing, Jables decided to do this teaser instead.
  5. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

I would have thought thats pretty clear, to stop off hand comments, or changing details, becoming confirmed features
    elodea and cptconundrum like this.
  6. nanolathe

I don't much care for the date of its release tbh. I care about what features it's adding to the game. Are the two inextricably linked?
    nlaush, ooshr32, stuart98 and 2 others like this.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Welcome to Uber! If you make a decision, half the people will criticize it. If you make the alternate choice, the other half will complain. On top of that, half of the people will just complain regardless of your decision.

That's a lot of halves!
  8. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Before we had teasers about teasers.
  9. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Dunno, @sorian usually gets no negative critics at all for his tech posts and "an my list"-announcements.

It's only these slightly sadistic, teasing troll posts which cause a lot of mixed feelings and I guess thats even intentional in some way. At least whith @BradNicholson I'm confident that trolling was his primary intention.
  10. nanolathe

Implying that anything he says is above rebuke?

No offence to sorian, but nobody is above rebuke. :p

In any case I'd say that teasing isn't sadistic... rather it's just an indicator of how unplanned and/or the lack of confidence to deliver on said plan. I can't speak from experience but, unless Uber is doing something very unusual with their ladders, I fail to see how they could possibly promise "ladders" and then fail to deliver on it.

Perhaps I'm underplaying how hard a ladder is to make though. As I said, I don't have personal experience making one. I would have hoped that Uber did though...
    Last edited: October 14, 2014
  11. jables

jables Uber Employee

*edit* Negativity here was defined as, "hey jables, not perfect, try it slightly different next time based on the feedback here", which is the best I could hope for honestly.

Fair enough. There's enough negativity on this that I'll hold off sharing the early stuff as teaser and hold off till we have more information. It's only a few days here and there difference, I just thought I would test out sharing pictures from random parts of development. From this point on I can hold off on sharing anything until we have the details for it, and pictures will be related to things you already know about.

Thanks for all the feedback. Was good to see the reactions :)
  12. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

No, it was depressing as ****.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Another option would be to start banning the trolls. Why let them ruin the fun for the rest of us?
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The second you announce it, depending on how big, people assume "NOW". If it takes 3 months, and Uber needs to focus by not posting forums so much, people start to assume "they abandoning PA and no ladders never".

Which just means, they should share it anyway and the forums should grow up and in that way everyone will be happy.
    So basically this. Moderate an atmosphere that facilitates sharing information between us that can handle it.

I personally like teasers.
    pieman2906 and cptconundrum like this.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well I can see what they're saying, but maybe in a bit of a nicer way, as Nano does have a point!

I actually like the teasers, but I think what you should do instead is not necessarily wait until you're sure the feature has a date when it'll be finished, but just tell what the feature is.

If you take a look at @sorian 's posts he gave info on the new neural net progress, the trick is he didn't post any sort of date or time frame, buuuut gave in depth info on what's being done. Every one really lives his posts, so I think maybe you can find out what to do by trying to follow what he does?

Maybe as just a little test, next time you have a feature, give info, but day "I can't give dates until I'm sure it's ready".

Hope this helps! ^^
    ozonexo3, ooshr32 and Remy561 like this.
  16. jables

jables Uber Employee

Good stuff here. Thoughts on next one is wait the extra day or two to get the info on what we will be shooting for on next update, and share more then. Basically like we did on offline server step 1, but with photo fun. Overall found this useful. Great feedback from you guys. We're still working on communication improvements, so this sort of thing is great to hear.
    ozonexo3, cmdandy, nlaush and 5 others like this.
  17. mrchris2000

mrchris2000 Member

I only just saw this thread and already its had enough negative reaction to have Jables not do any more?!
    That's frankly ridiculous.

Jables, we have the Backers Forum still, would you consider posting these types of content to that forum instead where I'm sure it would get a more appreciative reception.

Honestly sometimes this community confuses the hell out of me, tens of threads bemoaning lack of engagement from the developers, and then when we do get what we asked for we dump all over it. Makes no sense to me.
  18. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

The difference here is, my stuff was coded, tested, and already checked in when I made my post. I was not speculating on a planned feature. No idea how far along the teased feature is at the moment (different team) so I cannot speculate why details cannot be given out at this time.
    mjshorty and ArchieBuld like this.
  19. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Only two people reacted negatively, while more than a dozen had a reaction more along the lines of 'awesome!'. Hope you reconsider and don't decide that's grounds to stop releasing teasers, if you're not going to release concrete details any sooner I'd rather have something I can have fun guessing at while I wait.
    proeleert, Nicb1, rivii and 3 others like this.
  20. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

two monitors, two different types of coke, an empty coffee mug, 5 paper mugs (coffee?), no window to distract him, no name to personalise him, i assume no family therefore, and presumeably those speakers are linked up to his line manager shouting orders at him. People moan about missing features, im more concerned for this guys caffeine intake. he hasn't even got a name.

On the other hand, he really needs more incentive to work faster, perhaps chain him to the desk too?

plus, if there's a zombie apocalypse in the uber office none of the first things to his left are really gonna cut it. Up your game man!
    tollman, mjshorty, Fr33Lancer and 3 others like this.