PTE UI Issues

Discussion in 'Support!' started by masterdigital, October 7, 2014.

1. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

If you are using the PTE and are having UI issues such as:
    1) Parts of the UI becoming unresponsive.
    2) UI elements sizing incorrectly, such as covering your entire screen with a blue panel.

then please post a brief description of your bug and your system specs (OS, system memory, and graphics card). The issue I am currently investigating happens when you use the chronocam or when the game ends.

The bug does not happen on all machines, so I need more information to diagnose the problem. Thanks.
    websterx01 and Remy561 like this.
  2. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I have not tested it with the current build. But I just rembered something:
    Back when the default Coherent Process limit of 4 was introduced on the PTE I had added the command line options to up the Nr. of UI threads back to 16. Then the default limit of 4 was removed, but I had forgotten to remove the arguments from the steam start options.
  3. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

I reproduced the bug without the coherent process limit, so I don't think that is it. Also it isn't related to system memory, since I didn't get the bug when using a machine with 4GB. It isn't related to graphics memory, since it occurred on a machine with more graphics memory than my dev machine.
  4. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I get this issue on my acer dualcore i5 3317u, intel hd 4000 and only 4gb ram.

im not sure what it is but sometimes when i change planet the UI freezes and i cant get my build bar back, then after a bit all the UI freezes.

also chronocam freezes the UI as you mentioned,

Pressing F5 kills the UI and it freezes with no UI showing so i have to Alt F4 to quit.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the animation at the start of a match where the 2 commander pics come up steetfighter style before battle, because when my ui freezes and locks up part of that animation re-appears, (the blue partially transparent background for the commander pics that goes under the 2 or more commander pictures )

I'll try to get a screenshot later.
    Last edited: October 13, 2014
  5. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Issue is still there for me in 73737.

The issue is:
    Trying to open Chronocam outside of a replay will freeze the UI, while letting the 3D world (and thus network traffic) run normally.
    Trying to reload UI gives me the running 3D world again, without any UI ever showing up.
    Full ability to navigate the camera is retained. Cursor is visible and changes icon according to action. Ability to select units via clicking and give context/shortcut based orders is retained. I can even blindly navigate the Build Hotkeys and use groups.
    Instead of victory/loss screen the world seems to lock up (PA.exe at about 15-20% CPU load; no visible load on the coherent UI processes; PA.exe retains reaction to Alt+F4). Previously I got a blue-ish, monocolored screen on win/loss (so that is at least one change).

What I cannot do:
    Draw a Square to multiselect units (no actuall selection). Getting the visulation for Area commands (the command itself is processed as a klick, not area command too).
    Get any UI part to work or even show after F5.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  6. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Just tried to open the chrono-cam at the end of a 73823 match that I ran as observer. Twice in a row. A locked up UI is all I got instead of the chronocam.
    Also the PA exe now locks up trying to quit itself after hitting Alt+F4, instead of properly ending.

The exact results might varry depending on if I run the Uberlauncher or steam version.

Attached the log and current DxDiag.

Attached Files:

7. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

1) Players' economy tab on the top left, planet's list on the top right, ESC to game options, all of these became unresponsive;
    2) Windows 7-64
    Intel Series HD 3000 (it was suposed to be switchable, but the AMD never works)
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2675QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    launched via Steam

EDIT: I am having this issue in stable version

Attached Files:

Last edited: October 12, 2014
  8. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Can reproduce the chronocam issue in any match in PTE. HavenĀ“t tested it in stable yet...
    ...same in stable!
  9. theredstone

theredstone New Member

Happening on match ending when opening chronocam. Can no longer use any of the UI elements. Only game restart fixes Problem. Chronocam out of older replays works fine.

Specs:
    Windows 8.1
    16 GB RAM
    Intel i7-4790 using graphic chip on CPU
  10. maxpowerz

It appears to be an Intel HD issue..
    totalannihilation and zgrssd like this.
  11. maxpowerz

I ran glewinfo.exe here is the output file it my help find an issue with the intel GPU's

Attached Files:

12. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

You are right. The issues seem to happen if CoherentUI runs on the Intel HD card.
    If I override the Nvidia Control to use the Nivdia card for the CoherentUI no problems anymore.

Edit: Unfortunately the override has to be give for each PA isntallation & seperate for x32 and x64 files, as it uses the full path to indentify the programm. Not only the programm name as with all other programms/games.
  13. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Here my glewinfo.txt
    I got a Intel HD 4600.

For me the issue appeared in the PTE build that introduced the improoved nav performance.

Attached Files:

14. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

Attached Files:

15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

yes it is, though without the freeze part
  16. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I use Intel HD 4000 and I'm getting the chronocam display bug.

I see a driver update from 9/26 that I will download and then I will test again.

*Update*

The driver update didn't solve this problem, but people should do it anyway.
  17. FILSTRUP

FILSTRUP New Member

Hi there,

chronocam is not working for me both in game and during replays. The UI gets messed up and/or the game freezes or becomes unresponsive. Only way out is killing it.

My system specs are i5-3570, AMD HD7850, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64bit
  18. nuwen

nuwen New Member

I'm getting this with the chronocam. Win8.1 x64, 32 GB (swapfile disabled), single GTX 780 Ti with 340.52 WHQL drivers. Using the UberLauncher. I disabled my i7-4790 (Haswell Refresh)'s integrated graphics in the BIOS while setting up the system, so I've never installed any Intel drivers.
  19. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Please post DixDiag and glewinfo logs for your computers. They contain the other 95% of data needed.,
  20. FILSTRUP

FILSTRUP New Member

There you go, hope it helps.

Attached Files: