PTE Stream: 73687, now with 100% more offline mode

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, October 9, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's what I am wondering as well. Either windows is evil and just makes it jump between cores or something else is up. Fact is when I tried to limit the server.exe to a single core of my quad core the sim speed didnt take a big hit at all.
  2. doud

doud Well-Known Member

You mean you did not observe slow motion while assigning server.exe to a dedicated core ? Or you mean it did not help to prevent slow motion ?
  3. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

mmmmmmmmmmmm dat timberwold commander. As soon as I get my pre-payed master card in order...

Unless there will be a Summoner commander. then I want that.

regardless. My jimmies have been russled.
  4. cola_colin

It did not change the sim speed a lot. Only did one test, not really representative. But if the server would use all cores at perfect efficiency removing 3 of 4 cores should have a very visible impact on sim speed.
  5. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

I can confirm, none of my cores/threads where maxed out in the game i Played.
  6. doud

doud Well-Known Member

OK will check while back from the office. Thanks :) I will probably post pictures and will used advanced tools to monitor the threads activity :p
  7. doud

doud Well-Known Member

And did you get slow motion ?
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

They've always been there. How else would you be able to see those commanders walking around in the game? You're able to use them in your own game client, but nobody else would be able to see them, so that kind of defeats the point, eh? :)

But Human Resources isn't DRM-free (yet?), so it wouldn't be allowed in the GOG store, right?
  9. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Yes it went Down to 8.
  10. cola_colin

It doesn't seem to be completely single threaded. In my test now I have 3 planets with a lot of dox. Setting the server.exe to a single core pushes sim speed to 3.3fps. If I add all cores I get 4.1fps and a few % more cpu load for server.exe, roughly 25% instead 22%.

I've also seen server.exe at ~35% after giving move commands. Dunno. Either an explanation from Uber or a lot of experiments are required. I guess it does do at least some things in parallel, but there are some bottlenecks tthat prevent it from really having a bigger advantage from more cores.
    igncom1 likes this.
  11. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I have an issue: The server won't start on my Windows 8.1.

If I try to start a game with the local sever set to "very yes", I get stuck on loading screen and this is what appears in the log:
    [16:31:44.562] INFO Created subprocess 5972 from cmd line "C:\Spiele\Steam\steamapps\common\Planetary Annihilation\bin_x64\server.exe" --headless --allow-lan --game-mode Config --ubernet-url https://4.uberent.com --monitor-url https://4.uberent.com
    [16:31:44.593] INFO client::ClientGame::resetGameState
    [16:31:44.593] INFO Mouse constraint cleared.
    [16:31:44.593] INFO ClientInterface constructed
    [16:31:44.609] INFO Connect to localhost:6543 worked
    [16:31:45.015] INFO Subprocess 5972 reaped (exit code=-529697949)
    [16:32:38.859] INFO Streaming state: Uninitialized
    [16:32:38.859] INFO Resolving 0 callstacks
    [16:32:38.859] INFO Resolve complete
    [16:32:38.859] INFO Shutting down CoherentUI

If I try to run the server directly it just crashes. Any logfiles for the server yet?
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actual number is 16 as far as I aware. Not sure why pinbender said about 15 planets. :confused:

Also there possible other limit somewhere around which actual reason why I get untextured planets and it's will be impossible to find it for me because it's not cause crash/shutdown. So let's better ask @pinbender to give us ability increase this limit... :oops:

Please? o_O
    Last edited: October 9, 2014
  13. cola_colin

for the lulz I would not even mind playing on untextured planets
  14. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Probably a programmer thinking in zero based indexing. ;^)
  15. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Colin at what point does your server start slowing down? What's the unit amount you need to break it under 10.0 sim. Because I got PA to 100% my cpu. Also isn't the server you doing 32 cores? At 22% that's 6.7 cores 100% compared to my 4. And I could do 10k dox doing move commands
  16. cola_colin

I am testing on my local machine. Also 100% cpu for what processes? the client eats a lot of cpu, set it to one core and watch the server.exe
  17. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

This is for the Steam version on my Windows 8.1 only. Having issues getting steam on the Win 7 and the Uber launcher to update.
  18. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

This is is because the Solar Panels move slowly, and the Avengers were grouped in with them, i.e. they moved as a formation, at the max speed of the slowest unit.
    temeter likes this.
  19. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I thought so at first, but the panels alone moved a lot faster.
    websterx01 likes this.
  20. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

I guessed Uber would announce it this evening as well, as we´ve now got the server technology for something like that! (and the public demand for this is incredibly high!)