PTE Stream: 73687, now with 100% more offline mode

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, October 9, 2014.

1. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Maybe the "server" is aiming for a higher Cpu clock speed. Could be the problem
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

This happens for two reasons:
    • Local server is not available on your configuration. (64-bit OS required)
    • Local server is not recommended on your configuration. (4 CPU cores and 8GB of memory recommended.)
    Edit: Does the graphics on that laptop share system RAM? It may make the laptop appear to have less than 8GB.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

@masterdigital
    Could you guys set a random lobbyid on local games as well? PA Stats needs one of those to identify games. The server seems to have a command line switch for it, but PA does not use it. I seem not to have any way to mod it in as well. Or can I somehow make it set the lobbyid myself?
    proeleert likes this.
  4. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Would make little sense running 32bit with 8 gb of mem
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Just want to put small correction about planets limit. First of all it's not hardcoded on server side and can be changed within "sim_utils.js". On client-side there is one time check (for each planet) when virtual texture initially created as pinbender noticed.

I just catch the moment when game trying to shutdown client with debugger, bypass it and loaded system with 26 moons. :p

Attached Files:

6. cola_colin

can you somehow make a fix for pa.exe that has the limit patched out or do you mean the ui debugger?
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Unfortunately I have no idea how debug things on Windows and have no idea how to patch executables either. :(

I just run game with GDB, catch client "crash" backtrace, then find where to set breakpoint on "exit" function, run game again and then multiple times used "jump +3" to jump on next function call instead of exit. Such thing should be trivial for anyone who ever debugged anything.

PS: Oops, find out that 9 of 26 moons remain untextured, but it's works. :D
  8. cola_colin

I wonder. What you described doesn't sound like what I would've thought. I mean somewhere it needs to do a compare and check if it has more than 15 planets. That compare needs to be patched, basically somewhere in the binary blop is the number 15. Make it a 99
  9. s03g

s03g Member

Hi, I've just had a client crash and I can't seem to be able to reconnect to the server as there was no option for it. Will there be such an option in the future or is it already possible?
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Is server ability to scale all about CPU and memory ? (My configuration is Corei7+32gigs of memory
    This morning i have hosted my first local game.
    And have noticed that even if none of my single core exceeds 50%, the sim can slow down to 6FPS and moving 1500 kbots over a single planet randomly enter slow motion.
    So i was wondering if for any reason there would be some kind of threasholds still in the local server code, preventing from taking advantage of all the available horsepower ? And if yes, is it adjustable ?
    Thanks
  11. cola_colin

The server uses only one thread per planet afaik. So you probably can add more planets with more cpu cores.
    I agree Uber should put priority on working on at least some multithreading for the sim of a single planet. I know that's not easy to do, but after seeing what the bullet physics developers do with GPUs I think it should be possible. Question is: Can do Uber devs do it? :p
  12. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Im sure the server dosent use one thread per planet, played a game earlyer , a 7 planet system,the server.exe only used about 10%
    of the cpu, and this was late game.
    Last edited: October 9, 2014
  13. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I also had a game with 2k bots on a planet (the ai didn't do very much for some reason), and the sim slowed down to ~5fps. All CPU-cores had very similar loads, around 65%. I don't think it's one cpu/one planet.
  14. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

It seems it's still Programmed to one core per game, like on the amazon servers uber a renting
  15. cola_colin

Are you sure you had a massive load on all planets?
  16. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Half of the planets was filled, had 2k units my self with 9 AI's, and the sim speed did reduce abit, but it was only to about 8.
  17. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Is it a bug or a feature that gives us access to all commanders? Anyways, just backuped the folder! :D
    Oh, and another question: Will the game become availible on GOG the same moment as the OfflinePatch for non PTE-lers gets live or it will it be delayed a bit?

You need those sales and---which is most important---you need the free advertisement for the HumanResources KickstarterCampaign GOG would include in their release post!
    So sooner is better than later, but, as the inventors of Uber-soon you should know this! ;)
  18. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

But this is only the 1 step on the Server latter, im sure it will be optimized alot in the future :)
  19. cola_colin

I really hope so. It seems the idea of one thread per planet was a missconception. Would've been nice of Uber to clear that up earlier. In my test with 3 moons with 1k dox area patrol on them I ended up at ~25% cpu for server.exe, and a simspeed of 4-5 fps.
    I'd really like to know about Uber's plans for multithreading optimization of the server. We _need_ the server to scale with many cores for it to scale with future computers.

Though I am not 100% my test is correct. The cpu load does spread over multiple cores. Dunno. I am bad at this, but I'd expect the server to eat more than 25% cpu.
    FSN1977 likes this.
  20. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I entirely get this. The thing i do not get is the following : What is limiting this single thread ? It's obviously not limited by the cpu resource since, if it was the case i should have at least one of my 8 physical thread stuck at nearly 100%. Which is not the case. Any of my 8 physical thread is never hitting more than 50%, so there's basically no any single application thead burning the cpu. And i'm still observing slow motion and sim dropping down to 6FPS. I will post pictures of what i mean.

Note i'm not complaining at all, simply wondering why this is happening.