PTE Stream: 73687, now with 100% more offline mode

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, October 9, 2014.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

It's expected if you're running out of Program Files or some other location where windows requires admin level rights to execute.
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yes. If you're on the same LAN / subnet with someone, as long as they've set their game as "public" (same rules apply as over UberNet), you should be able to see it.
    igncom1 likes this.
  3. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

You'll be needing some colours. Plus after about 80 or so colours the colour selector goes off the edge of the screen.

I will make a nice set of 40 colours which are easily distinguishable, but that's a long term lots-of-tweaking goal. Short term I'll do a rough draft of the 40 colours, but split them into 3 so that there are 3 copies of a primary all with different secondaries. That way you could say "I'm being attacked by red and gold, not red and green" etc. So you guys can test crazy ~120 player games. You'll also need a UI mod to stop the colour selection going off the bottom of the screen if you actually want to be able to select the colour you play as. Hoping to do all that tomorrow (today now...) too, shouldn't take long, but I have uni as well, so about 14 hours from now.
    websterx01, Jaedrik, trialq and 5 others like this.
  4. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

can someone point me in the direction of how to get the PTE running? Can't seem to find the thread, my googlefu is failing me.
  5. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

A few bugs

My commander could not attack a land factory, but he could use the ubercannon. Otherwise his combat was uneffected. Tanks also were having trouble shooting it, they tried to move really close to the building but still didn't fire. I ended up taking it out with shellers which worked fine.

The bug where if you give engineers an order to build catalysts from a long distance away they don't do anything is still there. They have to be moved close to the build location and then given the build order.

The game was hosted offline so I guess I can't view the replay from the replay menu? Is it stored somewhere else?
  6. skypheonix20

skypheonix20 Member

thought i herd something about a randomize planet seed button.
    1.jpg

in the launcher build options tick PTE.
    2.jpg 3.jpg
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Other than the additional commanders, this build is almost entirely devoted to the server. I remember them saying they were working on a randomize button, but it's likely being held for a later build.
  8. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

HOLY ****! Offline!

And those new Commanders!

FANBOY BONER!
    Remy561 and vackillers like this.
  9. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

The launcher should have a drop down menu for the streams. Default is "stable", but PTE should be the other option. Don't know about Steam though if you use that.
  10. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I too would also like to know if our replays or chronocams can be saved in offline mode?
  11. ChillAAA

ChillAAA Member

For Steam - right click the game and Select Properties, go to Betas and choose PTE from the drop down.
  12. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Got it, thanks guys :)
    ChillAAA likes this.
  13. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

And i wondered if it's going to be the 'we release that day, but we do it at 23:59:59' thing, happens to me all the time. Nice work proving me wrong. :D
  14. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

So, I just made the most ridiculous game ever. On the battlefield map, with 4 ais. I cheated so I could just spam bots, and OH EM EFF GEE. This is how PA is meant to be played :O due to distance I always had problems but this was just beautiful :O

**** YA UBER. That was incredible
    Remy561 likes this.
  15. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

I was able to successfully run a headless server (funny sounding) on my LAN. So one quad core computer was dedicated as the server. I could never get the game to slow down below about 6.4fps sim speed. And the max cpu in task manager showed about 34% on the dedicated server. Pretty amazing. Does anyone know if the server is multithreaded?
    Server is i5 4590 with 16gb ram, but it only used about up to 2gb anyway. Made about 4k dox on a planet doing planet patrol, and one AI with unlimited resources.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: October 9, 2014
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I overwrote it. It sucks, I really can't play local with dual core and 8g ram :(

JK, jk, Uber, listen to me closely, with a 2.8ghz cpu and 8g ram and 1g gpu, I can play local SLIGHTLY SUPERIOR to offline on reasonable planet systems.

I just ran a 500 planet with 200 moon, and started with 18 fps, lowest settings, and 10 sim speed. I started a basic base and built 100 dox and set to patrol just the size of my base. Server still 10 sim speed. I would swear it would slow down slightly by then, so it runs about average with slowdown much later in the game. I then pasted 500 dox and set them to planetwide patrol. Ohboy, I got 1fps sim speed for about 8 seconds. After that, went back to 7.5 fps sim speed. That is still superior to Uber server IIRC.

I will leave my use-local-server to manually override as yes. I appreciate it working this well Uber. Great Job! Thanks!
  17. temeter

You might want to check your RAM usage when the game temporarily slows down, the server is it's own process and takes some memory.

I had some strange issues here and there, where groups of units moved much slower than they needed too. Even with orbital units. E.g. a group of solard panels and avengers moved extremly slow, but then i ordered only avengers or panels, and it worked fine. Can't say if it's because of offline or the new pathfinding.

btw: Is it normal that i can choose every commander when going offline? Oo
    Last edited: October 9, 2014
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. gatokatcha

gatokatcha New Member

I want to keep steam on the stable build. So I use the Uber launcher for pte builds. But the launcher isn't offline yet and I couldn't find out how to lauch the pte build without the launcher. I have a crappy connection that drops often or worst case doesn't connect at all. I'd love to launch PA without any connection. How do you do that?
    I played a little offline game on my under spec machine (i3, 4 gb Mem , 2gb gpu) with under 500 units at all time run fine. A bit slower than on playfab servers, but without internet lag. Much better that way.

Nice job, thanks you Uber.
  19. temeter

Start via the PA.exe in the PTE game directory. Works just as usual, you aren't logged in, but you can now start offline matches without playfab.
  20. superouman

superouman Post Master General

I think there is a typo in the name of this commander, it should be named Gundam (i don't care about IP! bleh!)