More details on the 10/9/14 update (Offline Server step 1)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 8, 2014.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Hey there,

Long post, I know, but I wanted to share as much as I could think of on this stuff.

Brad was nice enough to introduce me yesterday, and I wanted to jump in today to give a bit more info on tomorrow's update. I’ll be following up later today to share some of my thoughts on our communication in general.

Let's start with tomorrow's update. We announced the first step of the offline server a few days back. I wanted to clarify what this step will deliver, just so you know what our goals are on it.

Offline server step 1:
    • Ability to play Galactic War offline (can still play online as well, adjusted under settings)
    • AI skirmish games playable offline (can still play online as well, adjusted under settings)
    • Ability to create LAN games
      • In a LAN game, ability to play co-op or competitive with friends (and AIs, hi @sorian !)
    You'll notice I said step 1 there. We have larger plans for the server in the future, including polishing the current work, as well as allowing you to set up your own server that will show up on our network!

While we are on the topic, I wanted to discuss the limitations of step 1, so as to set clear expectations as to what we are delivering.
    • Just to call this out separate as it is important. 64-bit only is current min spec (we are honestly not sure if this will change in the future, but current tests point that it may not).
    • Recommended spec for offline is the same as our recommended Steam specs, and they should play what we have seen as a more normal play experience. If you want to do huge systems, or mod to some crazy numbers of players, you will possibly need a beefier machine.
      • Windows 7+ 64bit (also Mac and Linux 64bit, sorry shoulda had this in there)
      • Quad core processor
      • 8GB ram
    • Once you create a server, you need to currently stay in it or it will go away. Stand alone servers are technically possible, but will require some modding for now (aka, we didn’t turn it off, but we are not yet comfortable with the polish level to officially support it. Have fun modders :) )
    • If you use the Uber Launcher, it still requires you to log in, as that is how the launcher is set up. If you wish to skip this, simply use the PA.exe.
    • If you launch it from Steam launcher while offline, it should work as expected and simply run offline.
    • And lastly, we will continue to work on this. This is really important to us, and we have been working on it for a while now. This is by no means the finished server, and we have a lot more improvements we want to get in place, but coming in and looking over community wishlists, this has always been very high on your wants. We listened, and are getting it out in parts, as opposed to waiting until it is completely finished with every little thing we want. This is an exciting change for us, as it allows you to get your hands on things sooner, rather than later.

On top of the offline server part of the update, we will also be releasing pathfinding improvements and some system editor polish.
    • Pathing will now better handle complex terrain (really, just overall pathing improvements, less units getting confused, smarter choices on paths, and much less not making it to final destination)
    • CPU and memory usage have been reduced overall (which is of course ongoing)
    • System Editor UI improvements (which are ongoing, so you will see even more in the future)
    • One new commander for the marketplace (I probably am using the wrong term here). More custom commanders as well, but as this is only one we can sell, probably the only one interesting to you all.

We have folks working to hit a few bugs we want to try to get squashed before release but aren’t 100% sure will make it, so check the official patch notes to see what else snuck in at the last minute.

Okay, time for some lunch. Will work on getting more info to you all on my thoughts on communication later today between meetings. Thanks for reading :)
    Last edited: October 8, 2014
  2. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

You deserve all the monies <3
    ArchieBuld, Remy561 and cptconundrum like this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

:)
    totalannihilation and superouman like this.
  4. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Sooooo excited, will we see a PTE patch before tomorrow for limited testing? @jables
    Last edited: October 8, 2014
  5. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

This. Exactly this type of post is what the community wants. Good job!
    leighzer, ViolentMind, nhac and 12 others like this.
  6. burlayz

burlayz Member

Sounds good, I'm sure everybody here appreciates how in-depth you are
    radongog and brianpurkiss like this.
  7. iron71

iron71 Member

I cannot explain how much I love this... Great post! :D
  8. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Totally agree. This is exactly what everyone seems to be waiting for. Good show, jables, more of these should calm down the drama that's been happening for the past while.
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

[​IMG]
    Gorbles, nevr0n, lokiCML and 5 others like this.
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@jables

Shouldn't this be stickied? :D
    DeadStretch likes this.
  11. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

For all you "DRM-FREE NAOW!" people. Now all you need is the installation itself. (Though updates, I imagine, require an Ubernet account. (As they should))
    spittoon and nawrot like this.
  12. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Nice. Very nice. Did i mention it's nice? Because it's indeed quite nice.
  13. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

colin when do you want to rent that server for the huge FFA? i know we need time to test on are own comps and see limits
  14. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

I need to admit, thats a nice step towards the community. Sadly i dont care about offline modus, and i fear the next step gonna be savegames, but its okay. It shows that you keep up the work downwards the priority list, and maybe i gonna see the day when Orbital/naval is on the top of said list.
    ViolentMind likes this.
  15. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I feel like Jables is going to reach Demigod status around here very quickly.
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Good stuff. Detailed, thorough, but still formatted for people to skim if they are so inclined.

Keep it coming!
    Gorbles and squishypon3 like this.
  17. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Nice update!! :)
  18. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Well done Jables, this is the kind of communication we longed for!
    Keep it going UBER you're doing a nice job, offline mode is just the beginning ;)
  19. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Really hoping this was there for "64-bit only" not "windows only"
  20. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

this is really handy, but i still don't get it much, would you please provide a tutorial once the update is released?

thank you