What would you do if offline was released Tomorrow? Wait a minute...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, October 5, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Why don't you just do that last bit right now? :p
  2. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

3. squishypon3

Please explain o.o

Edit: Yes, Yes, Yes! Oh yeeees <3

Offline, it's happening :D
    sierra159 and cdrkf like this.
  4. sierra159

sierra159 Member

squishypon3, cdrkf and meir22344 like this.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Offline was announced to be released on the 9th of October/thursday.

I'm sure you already knew that :D

NINJA'd
    squishypon3 and cdrkf like this.
  6. squishypon3

I didn't, I didn't until now! Yeeees....

I told everyone, hahaha <3

You don't understand my level of excitement.
  7. doushibag

doushibag New Member

Well what if there is no tomorrow?
    But there is Thursday October 9th.
    Next up, saves!?
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

No.

Next up is that stack of server api changes that we've been asking for that shouldn't be too difficult to implement?

Hover navigational layer pl0x.

WL_AnyHorizontalGroundorSeafloor world layer pl0x?

:)
    squishypon3 and nlaush like this.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oh by the way guys, since you said this one thing this one time, it's a promise. So you gotta do whatever you said you'd do or I'm gonna give you 0/10 on metacritic.
  10. comham

comham Active Member

I got owned, time to fire up blender!
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  11. jvickers

jvickers Member

It does not look like it will directly make that much difference to me. I don't play GW anyway. Indirectly, though, it will be nice if it takes the load off Uber's servers, resulting in them performing better for online multiplayer.

I'll also look into if it can be hosted for games over the internet - if it works 'offline' over a LAN then it should work over a VPN too.
  12. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

There should be no need for DRM free game to use any kind of VPN for hosting internet games with friends.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Actually there is.
    DRM free does not mean "game developers will run a master server for you" and especially not "game developer will run a master server for you that even works for pirates"
    radongog and Geers like this.
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

A VPN has nothing to do with DRM. I don't think you quite understand how networks work.

A VPN can make different computers appear on the same local network, allowing a LAN game as if they were directly connected. An alternate method is to set up port forwarding. This is no different from Sup Com. GPGnet/FAF are just GUI interfaces over this.
  15. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

I really like the heading ot the post right now! It´s just so incredibly hitting the core and---well, it´s simply genius! ;)
  16. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Forcing VPN over people has a lot to do with DRM. Both methods annoy customers and are cracked by pirates, making pirate version of many games much easier to use. I have many legally bought games that i just installed pirate version instead.

What I am saying that there is no need for forcing only lan IPs (and thus forcing VPN) when you have login server under control of uber. Require all clients to be logged in, but let us make private server that is capable of hosting internet games. Forcing VPN on players does nothing for copyright protection, it just adds one more annoyance for poeple who bought game and want to play it. For protecting game they have login server. Do not make mistake when your legally bought game is harder to use than pirated version.

When we can play over VPN without troubles, then where is reason to force 3rd party application on us? Such stuff does not add to security and DRM, it just adds to annoyance of customers.

Edit:
    Just look at Farcry 3, great game with great coop (would say better than l4d) ruined by that unintuitive DRM and all artificial restrictions when connecting to online multiplayer. Instead of simple lobby they did that clusterfuck.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

where did you get that idea? That's pure speculation.
    The reason why this is LAN-only for now is that it actually is a lot of work for Uber to make it so your private server correctly interacts with playfab. They decided to give us the LAN-server for now, since well I think you can see people asked for offline play. I highly doubt they've put in any limitation about what IP the server can bind to.
    The whole VPN idea only came up because using a VPN is most likely easier on non-tech-savy people who do not even know what it means to bind to an external IP.
    radongog and Raevn like this.
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

You don't need a VPN. A VPN just simplifies things by making your computers appear on the same network. Port forwards does the same job, but can be harder to setup for someone who's not network savvy.

Ironic that your suggestion *is* actually DRM, because it forces a login. It's ultimately just a GUI for setting up a direct IP connection anyway, which is exactly what the VPN was doing.

Edit: Dammit, @cola_colin , twice! :p
    radongog and cola_colin like this.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

The evidence is clear. An overdose of likes gives you super ninja powers.
    proeleert, cola_colin and Raevn like this.
  20. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

You don't need computers to appear on same network if you let them connect to any ip, just add editbox where every player can write ip of server, and display outside IP on server pc. Then let traffic go to other networks with different subnet mask. Telling game one IP is much easier than setting up VPN server or using tunngle. Just like every game did some 10 years ago when private servers were possible.

Imagine situation when i have 3 friends and each uses different VPN, and they refuse to change because of their friends. How this is easier than let people connect to any IP after they logged in to master server.

So just give editbox with server IP.