Are underwater naval units still coming?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zayoodman, October 7, 2014.

1. zayoodman

zayoodman New Member

Aren't they supposed to be a big part of the game?
    planktum, tatsujb and cmdandy like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Not sure about a *big* part.

Would be nice to have though. :p
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Submarines? ya they were in the game for a while but where removed. (they had no 'submerge' mode implemented) its just another thing Uber has taken out of the game at the moment, and i doubt we will see submarines for a long while (if ever again at all)
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

They're not high on the priority list, but I'm fairly sure Uber plan to revisit this once they've nailed down a few core features.
    mot9001 likes this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

There is a good reason for this actually...

Making units go underwater is easy enough (e.g. dox), the problem is getting the engine to recognize the *edge of the water* to limit pathing I believe. Fairly easy on a flat map... but on a sphere...?
  6. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

It would be really nice to have a "change layer" functionality, so you could get subs, and air units that can go into orbit, or perhaps ground units that can fly, or other such possibilities.
    nawrot likes this.
  7. emraldis

worked fine before, and still does (tanks can't go through water yet, AFAIK).
  8. zomgie

zomgie Member

But... there already is an "edge of the water"? Naval units in the game right now obey it. It's as simple as not allowing submarines to be submerged within a certain distance of the edge, to ensure they don't just clip the ground. And then having them not show up on radar or vision to other players without sonar coverage, which might be a little bit more difficult, but it could just act like another "orbital" layer.
  9. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

need 'deep sea' features to block the bots =P
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

they are merely an extra people wished to have in game ...
    as it is right now they are VERY situational and easily become the most useless unittype depending on the created planets ... if you wish to play navalheavy games you need to create maps and systems made with naval in mind ...
    naval has no place on lava and metalplanets but only earthtypes with well ammounts of water ...
    Last edited: October 7, 2014
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The problem with navy is Uber didn't want to spend the time worrying about them when they don't care about water anyway.

Subs are very possible. All you have to do is make the navigational layer be the sea floor.
  12. MrTBSC

doesn´t change the inherent problem with naval in general ...
  13. stuart98

14. MrTBSC

there is no fix for naval being usable to metalplanets or lavaplanets ... that is what i mean ...
    hovercrafts would be a fix for there were neither naval nor groundunits could be used ... (guess that is what you mean with amphibius units)

also you may like to read this
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...lanetary-annihilation-general-gameplay.63990/

it doesn´t include the navalpatching details and subs though ... but is more a general gameplay improvement thread ..
    Last edited: October 7, 2014
  15. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I don't think land units know shores "exist". If you set bomb-bots on planet-wide area patrol they freeze on shorelines.
  16. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

As much as some are fairly sure that Uber will add submarines in the future, I am fairly sure that pathing on water and on land, coding wise, are basically the same thing. Land and water are one the continuation of the other. If doxes can walk on the sea bed, then the engine already has cognition of surface and bottom floor. Submarines would just have to translate between the two layers.

So that's not the real reason as why we don't have submarines at the moment. He might be balancing or something entirely different.
  17. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

It's far more complicated than that AFAIK.
  18. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Last I checked Air Units cannot be attacked by anti-ground weapons when landed. They are still considered "in the air" for weapon purposes. That is how bad and underdeveloped the "layer changing" system is right now ;)
    The closest we even get to changing layers is the S-Move of the astreus.

I am absolutely positive it will be added. It was a feature as far back as Total Annihilation. It even applied to the C&C series Air units.
    Since marine was only a strech goal (like orbital and GW) we can asume submerging has pretty low priority. But a proper layer changing system is surely in the works.
  19. emraldis

Last I checked, they can actually be attacked by anti-ground weapons, in fact this has been the case for as long as I can remember.
  20. stuart98

They changed it in the release patch (or the one before that).