state of effects modding?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by swizzlewizzle, October 7, 2014.

1. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

are there any plans to have a tool for coding up new weapon effects ingame? Can we even compile any code on the fly in game at all? if not, whats the current state of weapon effect modding?
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yep you can compile the game multiple times, there's a mod that comes with the game you need to enable though. It makes it so (can't remember which key it was) refreshes all mods and the game itself.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Before @bgolus has said (if I understand him right) there is no such tool and all effects you see in game were created manually. So there is no WYSIWYG tool for effects even internally. :(

Though effects written in JSON na it's pretty easy to learn how they work.
  4. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

The problem is testing it. There's a significant amount of trial and error involved in both learning, and tweaking effects until you're happy. Having to boot up a game every time you want to test something get's very tiresome.

However that shouldn't be nearly as bad with the release of offline mode.
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The "tools" for effects creation were a text editor and chronocam, ignoring textures and meshes. If you change a .json or .pfx file on the client it will live reload the spec. For units it will update any that exist, for effects the next time one is spawned it'll be using the new spec. If you scrub in chronocam each time an effect plays is a new spawn of the effect on the client. So my work pattern was play game to cause an effect to play, pause, tweak .pfx file, rewind 15 seconds & play, repeat.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Last time I checked effects reloaded for sure each time you start the game. So with server release this should become a bit easier. Also long time ago Windows version had ability to constantly reload shaders/effects/etc on the fly, but later it's lose it or at least when not using developer mode. :(
    wondible likes this.
  7. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Wish I knew all that. :eek:
    Have always been working on mod local copy, without pausing and restarting / rejoining ongoing game.
    Damn I fell dumb :oops:
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Just checked it for sure. On Linux it's still only reload effects when you join game.
    So likely it's just not implemented there.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

When I worked on rescale PA I noticed that PA on my win7 did reload the changed model files on the fly. It did crash though when I changed them to broken files in some cases :s I'd guess the models and effects would use the same system to achieve this.
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Yes, on linux live reloading of content doesn't work (since none of the artists or designers work on Linux).
    squishypon3 and SXX like this.
  11. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

Thanks for letting us know Bgolus. Glad there is at least a way to rapidly iterate ingame. :)
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Any chance you guys can at least implement content reload on demand? :oops:
    For example with F5 or some other special command?
    n00n likes this.
  13. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

F5 works because the UI is a web browser, you're just refreshing the page. If we're going to fix Linux it's just a matter of making @jorgenpt make the file watch work on Linux. It'll be low priority for a while.
    n00n likes this.
  14. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I've been playing today with the particles effects and this works really well! The code speaks for itself btw :). I had some trouble opening it structured and all but notepad++ with json plugin does the trick!

Effects.png

So what do you think. Some teamcoloured explosions? I think its already looking pretty neat. Gonna frap it up pretty soon. Still wondering how i can extract and put particles textures in it. This will do fine for now though. Gonna give that ssx some luv soon.
    cptconundrum and Fr33Lancer like this.
  15. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Looks good :)
    But keep in mind some colors combination looks better than others.
    Black / Green / White / Brown are from my experience sometimes not really good :(
    Alpha2546 likes this.