Massive Graphics Failure

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Geers, September 30, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happened without warning during Galactic War. Tried F5 and tried changing graphics option to fix it but neither worked.

@varrak @bgolus You guys talk graphics, right? What's up with all that noise? (Geddit? Noise... As in white noise... like in the bug... hehe... I'll stop now).

PS: I still won.
    cwarner7264 and Remy561 like this.
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

3. Geers

My wha?
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

This bug is ages old. I made a report on it 3 weeks ago (it already happened 1-2 weeks before i made the report).

PA#4082
  5. Geers

Happened another 3-4 times. Kept loading an AI skirmish on the same system (six 100r moons) and after a couple of times it just went "bleh".
  6. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

The bug did happen very often to me before, other people have had it aswell but less often. Recently i haven't had it anymore personally but i don't have much time to play anymore too. I could only fix it by restarting the game entirely but that always worked.
  7. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Had this one once or twice and heard others talking about it. For most people updating the graphics driver worked.

This is a UI bug that cannot be fixed via F5. You have to restart the client entirely.
  8. Geers

My drivers (should)/are be up to date unless the Nvidia driver thingy forgot to tell me there's a new one.
  9. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Could be that the driver collides with some recent Windows Update. (2nd Tuesday in Month is MS Patchday, but it can take 1-3 weeks for them to get to you).
    Could be you have to go to beta drivers.
    Could be you have to roll back to previous drivers as the most recent ones have issues.
  10. stonberg

stonberg Member

I get this BUG occasionally too. Quite rare, I'd say it's happened 2-3 times total. I use an NVidia GTX 460 (1GB) gfx card.

[edit] GTX 660 2GB apparently, must've upgraded it
    Last edited: October 7, 2014
  11. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Maybe a problem with nvidia drivers? I've never seen this on my pc with ATI drivers. Are you all running nvidia?
  12. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Nividia Card for me. I might have had slightly outdated drivers back then.
    And it only happened once since I own the game.
    I also did my usual "anti odd bug stuff", i.e. running chkdsk on all partitions, verifying the installation of the game.
  13. Peori

Peori New Member

I've had this happen I think 4 times playing GW in the last few days. It only happened once near the end of a game which made it unplayable so I had to redo the fight, bit of a pain, the other 3 times it was near the start so it wasn't a big deal. I'm using a GTX 970 so maybe it is an Nvidia issue although it appears unique to PA. A PCGamer review I read referenced this issue affecting them a fair bit and they were using a 660 Ti.
  14. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

This isn't a UI bug, it's something more bizarre (every texture in the game is suddenly in the wrong order). If anyone can find a consistent repro with specific steps we would greatly appreciate it.
  15. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Do all of you use the pip?
  16. varrak

varrak Official PA

Yes, as BGolus said - a consistent repro would really help. Something's getting messed up somewhere deep in the graphics engine code, but we've not been able to find a consistent repro to track it down.

Also, anyone who hits this all the time (e.g. every game or close to), please private message me if you feel like helping out :)
  17. Peori

Peori New Member

I've started using it recently (it'd be nice to be able to have as many pips as your system can handle BTW :p) but it's happened before then too. It occurred once today playing GW but I can play a bunch of games without it happening so I can't see anything consistent yet. It's happened near the start of a game with relatively little going on and near the end with tons of units, fairly soon from launching PA (via Steam) to a couple of hours play.

I'll try to keep tabs on things from now on but nothing stands out. I've played through the same map just fine after the problem forced me to quit for instance.
  18. Geers

I am 83% sure it happened when I was zooming in/out. Actually it might've been clicking the planet icons, not manually zooming.

I can probably dig up the lobby ID if you think that'll help.
    Last edited: October 9, 2014
  19. stonberg

stonberg Member

I can't reproduce it (cursed intermittent bugs!), but for me it's always occurred right at the beginning of a game, at the point when the 'above solar system view' (to allow you to choose a spawn point) would be displayed.
  20. Geers

That matches up with a couple of my experiences too. I don't know if this match in particular had the issue, but it is the same system where I had it several times:

http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=219936