Offline Play Is Coming October 9

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, October 7, 2014.

1. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

It still feels weird, saying that the release of PA is the beginning of HR.

The way I read it, HR on Kickstarter is going so badly that Uber has to hurry up and finally deliver PA. Once reason more to wait and see what will happen next.

Thanks for a great show :-D
  2. zackibs

zackibs New Member

Hopefully there will be some visual distinction between 'officially hosted' and 'player hosted' servers in the lobby browser. Thats is pure assumption, but i don't think that players will have a good experience if someone hosts it on his own rig and internet connection. Also I'm thinking of what happens if the player that hosts a game gets annihilated early, he might just not want to sit there for the next hour and let the server consume all his resources but kill the process in a rage-like manner.
    As i remember, in one thread was mentioned that PA takes up to 7 Mbps in the endgame (depending on units and so on) for each client. Multiplied by the number of connected clients, you need to have a rather exceptional upload bandwidth to host your own games. Probably renting a server is the only option to get things running smoothly.
    So please... add some icons or filter to let us know if we are looking at a privately or officially hosted server.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I think you're reading too much into things. Offline has been high priority for Uber for a while.
  4. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

AWESOME news Brad :)
  5. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Now I can finally start considering backing HR...
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. lordravenxiii

lordravenxiii New Member

I must admit, I'm really glad to see this. I was starting to get a little worried. As someone that persuaded four of his friends to buy the game, to think it might have been moth balled was a little galling. But very glad to see visible continued development and communication on the forums from the Devs.

Keep up the good start,
  7. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Too sad i never cared about offline modus. Game is still unplayable. Able to play a not-enjoyable game offline doesnt differ much.
  8. Geers

Geers Post Master General

But now performance won't bottleneck on connection speeds.
  9. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Does that mean the game doesnt slow down considerably after ~30 minutes? Ive 100 mb/s connection, so connection speed shouldnt have been a problem
  10. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

That depends on ur computer I assume.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  11. cwarner7264

What this will do is shift the load from Uber's servers onto your own machine. So if you've got higher specs than instances of PA were allocated on Uber's servers, you should have increased performance.
  12. SonicAndSmoke

SonicAndSmoke New Member

@Uber Staff:

Any information on this? I have a spare pc sitting around and would like to offload the server work from my gaming rig. What i'm hoping for is a dedicated server app inside the Steam -> Tools section next to all the other dedicated server tools.
  13. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

I really feel bad for you (read : mods) after this update.
    Because when it will be ON, a lot of people will realize that they will not be able to play smoothly because their computer can not handle the server and the client at the same time.
    And frustrated people complain. A lot. Especially on the intrenet.
    Here is a hug *hug*, hope you'll not need it...
    Coldfusionstorm likes this.
  14. trialq

trialq Post Master General

It's not easy being green...
    spittoon and Raevn like this.
  15. Geers

Geers Post Master General

IT'S PEOPLE! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

Couldn't resist...
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. cwarner7264

I've moderated far more tumultuous forums than this one in the past :D

I sincerely don't think this will make things any harder for us to moderate - it'll make getting things sorted on the support forum a bit more complicated though, as there will be more variables to take into consideration.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

While they do not offer the ability to add our servers to the playfab server list with the lan server in our hands anybody with a bit of technical background will be able to work around that. Basically from the 9th going forward a FAF for PA will be technically possible. That's what I would consider no DRM anymore.
    cptconundrum, proeleert and cdrkf like this.
  18. little

little New Member

Does this mean that Steam Family Sharing will be enabled? Would love to show the game to a few friends who wanted to try it and have asked me if I could give them access to it (as they know that I play it but couldn't find it in my library). But unfortunately I had to tell them that sharing is disabled for PA. I would guess this was because there was no offline mode? So is this going to change?
  19. atharol

atharol Member

Offline play will only make the game crackable its more worth aiming on giving us some more toys to play with ingame like the unit cannon for example..
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

To modders the server is the best plaything every ;)
    Nicb1, squishypon3 and proeleert like this.