Uber, Please Give Us an Update on Server/Offline/Saves

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, October 5, 2014.

1. duncane

duncane Active Member

After release I'm sure lots of people probably needed a vacation. That could explain the slow down?
  2. zomgie

zomgie Member

Honestly, at this point it seems like their silence is causing more firestorms than if they were to post a quick message and say they're doing something. Even some of their biggest supporters on the forums and out on the internet are beginning to question their actions, and being left in the dark gives us nothing to go on except that the worst of our fears is confirmed, and they really aren't working on PA, or at least on any of the bugs/missing features that are so critical to the future success of the game.
  3. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/659943965/human-resources-an-apocalyptic-rts-game/#chart-daily

The 4th day of their kickstarter campaign isn't looking too good. Maybe this is simply due to it being Sunday, or maybe it's a sign that all the bad press surrounding Uber at the moment is affecting their Uber image. Only time will tell.

Looking at how the PA kickstarter tracked though, not a single day of pledging was as low as yesterday. The lowest pledge day for PA was about $25k.
    Last edited: October 6, 2014
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Yeah. It's the weekend. Not only is it the weekend, but it's midnight in Uber's home town.

Maybe tomorrow?
    doud likes this.
  5. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

How come anyone thinks that the day or time of the day have anything to do with this? It's not like only people from Uber's home town are pledging. There should be pledges from all over the world, even raising on the weekend since that is when most people have time to spend on computer games and the internet.

So far it isn't looking good, and this might very well have to do with the bad reputation they did everything for to build.
  6. brianpurkiss

We're not talking about pledges. We're not even talking about HR.

We're talking about Uber getting back to us about server/offline/saves.
    doud and Nicb1 like this.
  7. ace63

Goddamn - wrong thread, sorry.
    cola_colin, reptarking and Raevn like this.
  8. brianpurkiss

lol.

No worries. :)
  9. xylowenchbane

xylowenchbane Member

Hey Brian, just to clear something up about EVE Online since I play that game and generally keep up to date with it.

Here's a link - http://themittani.com/features/csm-criticizes-ccp-behavior-alleged-feedback

There's been a super long running issue in EVE Online's sandbox. The player owned sovereign space (0.0 or Null-sec) has been growing more and more stagnant. CCP has been running around the issue and not really dedicated too much effort to fixing the old Dominion code related to player owned systems, instead the work on smaller things like aesthetic changes and PvE "expansions" which in conjunction with several high profile CCP employees leaving the company and most of the player feedback to focus on fixing the most rewarding part of the game being ignored has lead to a lot of jokes and mockery against CCP.

Don't get me wrong I love EVE Online but I feel the community is much more dedicated than CCP themselves.

Some of the examples could also be taken into how Uber is treating its community in regards to PA and SMNC before with blatantly ignoring the community during such a crucial time, I understand they'd be busy with polishing the game up to and beyond release, and you've gotta consider the situation as we now have another game being pitched. They could just give some last few polish runs and then move onto HR entirely and leave PA much like SMNC before it. A sad reminder of bad business practice.

A really good thing about PA is the way the community would come together and create their own tournaments and cups, creating their own stories and content, while Uber added more toys to smash into each others planets. I just feel for the community as it's now a trying time. No acknowledgements or any notice about what's going on behind the scenes. A confirmation would be a good place to start.
  10. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

Nah, you can't say anything about what Uber is doing. Unless you work at Uber. Which you do not.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I can say they're working on it. I saw them working on it. They're working on it.
  12. ace63

Well they have been working on the unit cannon once and ditched it without notice - so saying they are working on it because they once did is not really a valid statement.
    obamadagodman likes this.
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I've said nothing about the end result, because I'm not party to that information ;). I can however state with confidence that work is in progress on the offline server.
  14. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

You people have a serious Unit Cannon obsession problem. It's like one freakin' building with most of it's functionality already taken by the teleporter. Hell I don't really see what it would do better - you wouldn't have to build a destination building, but balance would dictate then it would have to be MUCH slower in unit transporting speed and quantity.
    And it's still like one bloody building. And I'm sorry to tell people, but games CHANGE from pitch to release. While stuff like servers and offline play are important and should really be priorities at this point, something like a stupid cannon is not.
  15. jvickers

jvickers Member

While I can understand justifications for not releasing information, it goes way against the expectations that Uber are setting. I know I have absolutely 0% chance of contacting an Apple employee that I did not know from elsewhere and finding out the plans for the iPhone 7. However, Uber has portrayed themselves as operating on a very different business model.

Watch from 4:30 onwards in their Human Resources Kickstarter video:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/human-resources-an-apocalyptic-rts-game

So, fans / customers / backers of Planetary Annihilation also expect the same thing. They are referring to the previous Kickstarter success, and talking about their attitude, but over this issue there is not that attitude of working with the community and interacting about the progress of the game.

That said, it was very good to get detailed info about what one of the three teams is working on.

Also, I don't see how answering these questions is any form of a PR trap. If anything, setting the expections high regarding communication was the error. However, maybe that was done in order to help get funding. I see the talk about interaction with the community in the Human Resources video, but only see it partially in action by the team behind Planetary Annihilation. So, I think Uber should live up to the high expectations they are setting, both regarding the development of the game itself, and communicating openly about what barriers stand in their way, in addition to how long they estimate various things take.
    Last edited: October 6, 2014
    elkanfirst and brianpurkiss like this.
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i for one don´t care about words too much ... i care about work, actions, features and content ... if it doesn´t happen ... well tough shot ... i knew back then what i got myself into and was willing to take the chance ...
    what will that Piece of Information bring to you actualy? you know about a bit of the state of something ... cool ... still doesn´t mean it couldn´t fall apart in the process ... you only make yourself eager and more eager to wait for something setting yourself up for more dissappointment for when it doesn´t work out the way you want it to ... and then what?
    are you going to shout at uber ... good luck solving stuff with that ...

by all means ask questions ... but don´t think poking anybody like a jackhammer will get you anwers any sooner ...
    i personaly rather wait for the stuff being actualy done and live ...
  17. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I dunno why you guys bother, it's always ever been "Soon™"
  18. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

It is a PR trap:
    Option 1) Uber decides not to say anything -> "Uber is not communicating booooooooo!"
    Option 2) Uber decides to say something -> "Uber why did you take so long to answer? Was that so hard? Words are cheap we want offline boooooooo!"

Option 3) Uber posts another thread when they are ready to give us more information -> people get a chance to see what they say without all the flames in this thread being there first. Of course, people are still going to complain.
    japporo, cptconundrum and MrTBSC like this.
  19. brianpurkiss

It's not a PR trap.

In the various instances where Uber has provided meaningful communication, they have been extremely well received. Case and point, the various graphics update threads. And then there was another one from... sorian? just the other day.

When Uber comes out and provides meaningful information, the community rejoices.

When Uber keeps their mouth shut, then crap happens – Able Commander & server being two easy examples.
    doud, cmdandy, nlaush and 3 others like this.
  20. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

True, and those were their own separate threads right? What I am saying is that THIS THREAD is a PR trap, because it forces one of two unfavourable outcomes. So I'd rather just wait for Uber to say something.