What would you do if offline was released Tomorrow? Wait a minute...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, October 5, 2014.

1. mymothersmeatloaf

mymothersmeatloaf Member

I agree with him. Offline mode would be great, but their a number of things that would still needed to be included.

I find DRM to cause more harm than good these days, it's actually been proven time and time again that DRM causes more people to pirate than games with no DRM. What needs to absolutly happen is playfab needs to go. It's not what we payed for. It was understandable when it was being worked on, but the game is "released".
    bradaz85 likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Semantics really, but "released"doesn't necessarily mean "Finished"
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But we can agree it shouldn't mean "Beta" either right?

Mike
    blackwinsdk, vyolin and bradaz85 like this.
  4. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

I would try and play some massive planet AI games which are obviously network bandwidth/latency constrained, and hope my PC is more up to the task :)
    tunsel11 likes this.
  5. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I'd still wait until the rest of the game was finished. For me, I really want a new iteration on Galactic War.
  6. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

I would play PA a lot more
  7. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

I would host some "insane" epic games, "hopefully" without the slowmo feature :D
    warrenkc likes this.
  8. squishypon3

Ooh.. Burn.

Technically I could be totally semantical and say that most developers idea of a Beta is feature complete with just bugs, but then that'd just mean we'd have to say PA was Alpha! ;)

I can agree though, with what you actually meant I mean, it shouldn't. I feel PA is definitely lacking some features I truly wish were there, but I think overall it's a pretty enjoyable experience... I'm saying that as someone with one of the worst internet deals out there, haha. :p
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I would be relieved and very pleased. Not that I am anti uber in any way, just that I think the issue of offline may potentially hurt them which is a real shame.

I'd then probably request they add the capability to hr given its based on the same engine :)
  10. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

- Curious. I'd try a few things out and see if I noticed much difference, but I've a decent internet connection.
    - Still not backing HR until they announce an OSX version.
    - I don't hate Uber; so far PA's a great game but it still needs work. Since they're still working on it I have no problem. Their only issues are their timing was off with HR, and PA would've got much better reviews if it hadn't been released so early.

There's a number of features I'm looking forward to, and offline mode wasn't high up my list. Much higher would be better planet generation - they're a bit lacking at the moment.

On the other hand, if offline mode meant the tournaments and casters stopped picking boring moons and flat worlds all the time, that'd make me happier ;-) [I understand they do it for performance etc, wasn't a serious comment]
  11. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Flat worlds? Are you refering to worlds with no hills?
  12. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Pretty much yeah, and what there is seems largely cosmetic. There's all kinds of features that were in the concept art which could have interesting effects on the gameplay - mountains, cliffs, hills, mesas. Then there's the lava which could use work, projectile range could be affected by altitude, etc.
  13. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Yeah terrain that affected game play that's Def something that was promised that has never changed....
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Start a systematical analysis of every single file in the server distribution, looking for new modding possibilities.
    My pledge to HR however will wait until that promises offline AND PA has delivered on offline.
    cdrkf, trialq, reptarking and 3 others like this.
  15. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I would make the best computer of my computerclub into a (dedicated) server and see just HOW big a system we can run on it.
    And I would test how well I can run the game fully locally (especially if the Sim runs better as a background task on my computer then uber servers). I got a decently powerfull Win 7 Laptop with bad GPU lying around and some Lan cables to spare, propably would use it as my dedicated server for home.

Human Resources: The premise sounds interesting, but not Kickstarter funding interesting for me.
    But then I funded nothing via kickstarter so far, so I am not really a good person to ask in the first place.
    warrenkc likes this.
  16. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

This pretty much sums up the forums right now.
    [​IMG]
    cwarner7264, cdrkf, tunsel11 and 3 others like this.
  17. squishypon3

Actually that's false, it did change. Terrain in alpha and maybe early beta was quite nicely covered in obstacles.
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yes, because asking for something you paid for and were told you were going to receive but didn't is sooooo unreasonable.

Mike
    tunsel11, blackwinsdk, vyolin and 2 others like this.
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

So in other words it's changed for the worse during development.
  20. squishypon3

I think you took something from nothing. :p
  21. squishypon3

That's debatable, but in my opinion? Yes.