For reference: Uber SMNC Thread about PA KS

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by stuart98, October 3, 2014.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Shwyx and doud like this.
  2. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Wow. Well this fills me with joy.
    I was a bit meh about the new kickstarter may even back it. Main complaint was that they started it before getting PA into its promised state.
    But this is pretty worrisome. Here's hoping that Uber doesn't let this occur again.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This is the concern that lots of people have voiced on the web about PA.

And this is the concern now...

Uber really should have waited until after they implemented Saves, Offline, and Server before announcing this. :-/
    Remy561, Shwyx and Nicb1 like this.
  4. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Basically what Brian said.
  5. doud

doud Well-Known Member

"Don't worry, this isn't the end of Super MNC. It's just the start of another exciting game!"

"Don't worry, this isn't the end of PA. It's just the start of another exciting game!"

sounds like "Déjàvu" ..... and they talk about "TRUST" .....
    tunsel11 likes this.
  6. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

Scathis says We are not abandoning Super MNC. PA is very much Neutrino's game. I'm only going to be working in an advisory capacity. Why? Because I'm going to continue to work on Super MNC along with other Uberites like Ekanaut, etc, etc. Plus there's a lot of ramp-up time to getting the project funded, then initial tech work, and then building out the team.

Don't worry, this isn't the end of Super MNC. It's just the start of another exciting game!

Hey, doesn't scathis do balance for pa?
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This won't going to help with this any way. I doubt anyone actually thinks that saves / offline won't be implemented, but if Uber going to work on another game it's bring questions about long-term PA future which is the problem.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

He also worked on Uber's Toy Rush mobile game part time of PA development.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well to be fair SMNC was no longer giving any revenue, they kept working on it for as long as they could get money out of it. That might sound harsh, but that's life for you.
  10. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

And a lot of the commonly attributed reasons to SMNC's failure was releasing a game that was missing important features.
  11. Uggeli

Uggeli New Member

sounds like "Déjàvu"
  12. squishypon3

The only difference being PA isn't f2p and they made quite a bit of money and are still making money off of it, we can't say the same for SMNC which was pretty much dead when PA was announced.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yes, if anything, SMNC team worked on various other projects as well. As well as upkeep of SMNC which does function currently. I believe PA had nothing to do with SMNC, in fact Playfab and Toy Rush were probably actually what development chose to do to sustain development cost.

So, I still don't see what any of this has to do except digging up any old references to doomsaying, which suddenly became popular.

And I say this as an SMNC player, having remembered this before anyone else recalled it as of late. It isn't the same situation, SMNC and PA are too different, and PA and HR too similar. If they wanted to do anything, they would have made made a bigger gap. Just think about it before you go on with this conspiracy, is it really what you think is going to happen to PA?
    Nicb1 and squishypon3 like this.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

People are worried- I think there is *1 major difference* though between SMNC - PA and PA - HR... HR is based on PA. That means engine improvements and features can (and hopefully will) be common between the 2 games. Conversely, stuff they're working on now for PA will be carried over.

The 2 games aren't mutually exclusive, whereas I doubt there was any crossover between SMNC and PA. I actually think PA & HR will support each other to some degree.
  15. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

I really hope the new kickstarter works out. Looks like a really awesome game and I would hate to see it fail because of the fans :(
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

scathis answer to this kind of accuse about smnc:
    I really don't think we should compare smnc to pa in this regard. PA is the game that made them "big enough to support two larger teams", so it is clearly not a game that made losses for 33 updates. I agree the current situation about offline play is worrying, but it's not the same as smnc was back then.
    If anything it should *up* our confidence into Uber for still running smnc servers as well as supporting a constantly under-performing f2p game that long.
    Last edited: October 5, 2014
    FSN1977 and DeadStretch like this.
  17. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Well, not exactly. SMNC wasn't really missing any features since there was no kickstarter or anything like that. The early release was Uber trying to recover from a mistake on Vavle's part. Uber wanted to do a free beta access key for those who were already in to gift to their friends. There was a glitch that basically made the game free to play and download to anyone of Steam. Instead of revoking access they, in a sense, went Early Access with SMNC and it was Free to play.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  18. squishypon3

The only thing that was missing was a tutorial really, because new players come on and get wrecked by old players and rage quit.
  19. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Honestly, the training ground is more than enough, imo. It's just some gamers are impatient and not everyone speaks/understands English.
  20. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I know Unreal has support for mediocre AI support, even for correct engagement, and for goal accomplishment like SMNC would require. Renegade X demonstrates it flexibly.

However, that is a lot of work, and I don't always believe Unreal is their strong suit. Maybe Unreal4, since it ceases use of unreal code.