Planetary Shields

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Chubrokoli, February 12, 2014.

1. supercilious

supercilious New Member

im a big fat stinking turtle give me my shields lol
  2. wannabeapilot

wannabeapilot New Member

"im a big fat stinking turtle give me my shields lol"

^ Well said!

I love having shields!

And i really hope they get added in, either officially or with a mod
    Zoliru likes this.
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You don't need to 'hope' for diddly. Someone will mod in shields... Hell, multiple people will mod in multiple versions of multiple types of shields. It is going to happen.

However, Uber won't be adding them any time soon.
    Zoliru and liquius like this.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

general no to shields ... and i dont care about them being modded in ... the only exception i would accept is a shielded
    gate running on energy keeping enemy units out like walls but allow your units to go trough
    Zoliru likes this.
  5. nuendo

nuendo New Member

I think shields could be a great addition for a mod.
  6. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

Now this would be awesome, think hard light dírected shielding.
  7. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

I am necroing this thread to show what @BradNicholson said about shields.

No promises were made, period
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

heh, you could say that about a lot of things!
  9. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

I'm proving a point about someone being "promised" about planetary shields
  10. igncom1

Well that's just silly.
  11. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

12. igncom1

13. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Agreed. However im gonna save this link for anytime that someone mentions planetary shields
  14. Dexodrill

Dexodrill New Member

No shields please. Its already hard enough for us non experts to invade a planet that has full defenses built up let alone if we need to go through a shield or hit the bigger planet near by first.

Great idea don't get me wrong, but for PA, id rather not see shields integrated in. Of course if we can add shields with enough counter abilities such as shield jammers or super weapons that can avoid shields then its possibly a fun add on. But the way things are now it feels like a huge undertaking to add and balance the scale of shields.

In the end its an idea that has its merits and possibilities but only the dev's will decide if its to be added or not. Ill be happy with what ever they add or remove even if I don't like it.
  15. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

I think you're over thinking it a bit, I'd have said shields to protect against nukes, as huge energy drains go, i'd prefer it to the tedium of mass anti nukes. Something like 2 big generators, or even 4 or something, the way catalysts go for annihilaser.

Nobody said the shields had to protect against everything. Not even moons with engines.
    Maybe just things trying to penetrate the air layer, so if orbital fabricators get in, they can build a transporter, or unit cannon can send things in. We can be selective about it without giving the pro turtles more reason to sit on their *** lobbing nukes at people.
  16. MrTBSC

you have antinukes and umbrellas already ... i see no reason for having shields like that ...
  17. genouious

genouious Member

Thule moon anyone?... Anyway, this is what I first thought about when applying supreme commander stuff to a planetary system and to be honest I find the idea pretty sweet, but then again I am indeed a dirty stinking turtle.
  18. MrTBSC

i have nothing against people that like to defend themselfes ... the thing however is there are various ways of how to defend yours yourself and this is not limited to stanionary turrets and defenses ...
    the problem i have with shields is that most of the time it is the easyst way of plopping down a areal defense
    and this is what i dislike the most about shields .. you don´t need to think much about shields they are pretty much a no brainer even if you use an ammount of generators to maintain them ... that to me is not realy such a big issue ...
    the thing however is there are so many good alternatives to shields that are also that can be better ballnces/tuned for specific tasks that shields are rather redundant ... they are just a "cool" feature to have but not realy all that strategically intresting ...