The Unit Cannon

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, October 3, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It was the pitch, a concept trailer. Even if it weren't, how many trialer really follow the game? Heck some aren't even animated. The new Civ trailer shows space ships, yet the game isn't based on space combat or anything its based on land combat with a couple orbital satellites.

The fact you took a concept video as fact is just... It's really silly. Why do you think there was a "game play visualization" stamp in the first place?
    xankar, elodea and Geers like this.
  2. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I'm not really sure what my opinion is on this, all I know is that I've now stopped playing games with orbital. At all(other than the occasional 1v1 with a moon or something and clan games). I find orbital play mind-numbingly dull to be honest.

Would asteroids and unit cannon fix this? Hard to say. Would they help? Almost certainly.

EDIT: also Uber repeatedly referred to the unit cannon as a confirmed feature throughout development, even taking the time to specifically tell us it wouldn't be in for release
    tatsujb, elkanfirst and stuart98 like this.
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Well, here we're on kickstarter, where trailers are supposed to give the best possible vision of what the game is supposed to look like. You can't compare a trailer for a kickstarter campaign and another trailer simply made to tease.
    In addition, PA trailer is really made to mimic the final game. Otherwise how does it come most of units in the game look like the ones from the trailer ? Basically the whole game is nearly a carbon copy of the trailer.
    elkanfirst and cptusmc like this.
  4. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Because: *GAMEPLAY visualisation* this actually implies it's a reasonable representation of what the gameplay will be like.
    elkanfirst, corteks and cptusmc like this.
  5. cptusmc

cptusmc Active Member

What is the difference between 10 SXX appearing above your commander and instantly snipping him vs 10 vanguards dropping down to kill your commander? Exactly ... Personally, I would rather play a supremacy game-type: if you lose your commander you do not lose the game ... balance solved on my end.
    elkanfirst, corteks and vrishnak92 like this.
  6. squishypon3

Are you serious? PA has a lots less poly count on units, less primary colour centric, barely any units have lasers, you don't pick up commander in a aestreus then launch with a rocket, it also has two way factories as apposed to one way, air fabs are much less useful ( in the trailer every fab I saw was an air fab) there was no combat units in the trailer in orbital, etc... Heck orbital was a stretch goal iirc, and the trailer also had MUCH less units, heavier and slower as well.

PA is veeeery different from it'd trailer in many ways. This is just a silly pet feature, the cannon had seconds of screen time I believe.
    xankar likes this.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Uhh yeah, not exactly, my post was in response to the idea of a one way teleporter.

And simply ignoring the problem doesn't solve anything.
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The Unit Cannon is/was the primary mechanic with which to balance Orbital.

Not having it is a serious problem. I don't agree with Nanolathe that orbital without it is a complete gimmick, but it would make orbital so much more interesting.
    elkanfirst, corteks and eratosthenes like this.
  9. doud

doud Well-Known Member

And i guess that just because Uber had plenty of time, they put it in the very first set of units pictures .... Yeah sure, they never intended to put it in the game and never made us believe it would be in the game ... No, really no :
    [​IMG]
    elkanfirst and corteks like this.
  10. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Do you want a way to attack a fortified planet or not? The way I described was one of many solutions tha could be made. All I ever hear though is: Wheres my Unit Cannon? Where's my asteroids? With the obvious presumption that those will be a fixall... I'm not hearing ANY ideas on how to implement a beachhead besides the spare multi unit transport or "unit cannon workaround drop pods"

My point, instead of complaints, bring ideas to the table. Which is what I tried to do. Your response @igncom1 was far from constructive or helpful
  11. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

and your missing squishys point. The unit cannon was not a focus, & it better not be until they hammer down balancing, pathfinding, & optimization first, second offline play and server access, then all of the nifty features
  12. squishypon3

Are ANY of the other buildings in the game either? Hm? Because I don't see a single one of those in game.
  13. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint.
    I accept your stance and utterly disagree.
    (well except for the offline mode, that should've happened a month ago)
    igncom1 likes this.
  14. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Launchpad -> in
    Nuclear missle launcher -> in
    Energy/metal storage -> in

Which building are you referring to?

Edit: Ow wait, did you by any chance mean ..... the unit cannon?
    elkanfirst and corteks like this.
  15. squishypon3

All of them, the launch pad is different in the game, the nuclear missile launcher is also different, and you can't even tell if those are storages.
  16. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Isn't the unit cannon "technically" in considering its a ransom terrain feature?

Lol
  17. squishypon3

Haha, if it does then I lost. :p
  18. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

It does, it's just purely cosmetic. If you look around, you'll see threads actually talking about it
  19. squishypon3

Oh no no, I know it's there, I meant if it counts. :p
  20. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Honestly, this game is centered around gimmicks that are complete nightmares to balance.
    See: planet smashing, annihilazor.
    Geers likes this.