Expansions & Unit Packs

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Crymaw, October 3, 2014.

1. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

I took a look through the forum, and saw a response from the developers on this topic in 2012. Now I know the game has just launched, and we're still expecting some free content (and an offline mode) in future patches, but I really do hope that this is a game that grows into the future, and is played online for many years to come.

So, on that note, has Uber made up its mind, or considered the matter of expansion packs or paid DLC (other than commander skins) for PA in the future?

Personally, I would jump on the opportunity to purchase an orbital units pack, an experimental units pack, or upgrades for commanders.

On the note of upgrades for commanders, I recall Uber mentioning that ages ago. Some commanders would be able to fire off missile salvos, and do other things once upgraded.

What about you, would you be willing to pay for these things?
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The commanders do have different weapons now- just only for the standard fire. Alt fire is Uber cannon for all. So for example the 'Progenitor' commander fires a laser instead of the standard blaster. The DPS is the same but the effect is cool nonetheless...
  3. xylowenchbane

xylowenchbane Member

I don't wanna sound negative but isn't PA meant to have a focus on multiplayer?

The massive title DLC's or expansions are fine and all but it shouldn't be anything near the level of CoH2 with the unit/commander packs. As long as everyone has the option to be on level with the newest title update/expansion it would be fine and maybe even healthy for the higher level competitive gamepla, like adding an option in the lobbies for the version/pack you want to play with.

You really do gotta take into consideration the already available commander models that are on sale (and not cheap for what they are) plus the ones slated to come at a later date. I think the PA Dev team will have enough funding for the foreseeable future.
  4. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

I actually liked what CoH2 did. The unit/ commander packs added strong new units and abilities, and even new factions, but the original commanders are still the best (IS2s, Elephants etc.), so it's not like it was 'pay to win' as some people complained it was.

Otherwise you could just give players the option when searching for or creating games to disable DLC units. It's the same with most expansions out there: those with the expansion can still play with those without.
  5. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

I don't like DLC and the downside of expansions is that they can split up the community.
    So expansions that add a faction where a player not owning that faction can still play with/against players that have it.

DLC, if they give commanders different abilities/upgrade trees it would classify as dlc without the requirement to have it to play. (Assuming the dlc commanders are balanced with the standard ones)
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

actualy i dont have interrest in buying further unitpacks or features ... that to just rather splits the comunity more ...
    so i rather like dlc to be added up gradualy like it has been the case before ...