A Note To Planetary Annihilation Fans About Human Resources

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, October 2, 2014.

1. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Deja vu. Good luck Uber
    nawrot and DeadStretch like this.
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

They could have at least weighted until they finished all their previous KS obligations. Would've increased their odds of getting funding for the project.;) Good lock Uber.:)
    Fricia likes this.
  3. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

Yes, but they haven't implemented everything that was promised.
    ace63, bradaz85 and lokiCML like this.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Indeed, but that still doesn't change the fact that they did deliver something.

As uber considers development as being a continuous iterative process, so in that essence the game will never be complete.

Once we have off-line and server hosting (I could give no ****'s about ladders and other competitive MP stuff) then 90% of the complaining will be over with.
  5. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

Reviving the RTS genre? Dont make me puke. They do not even have a finished RTS that plays well yet.
    ace63, bradaz85, nawrot and 2 others like this.
  6. lokiCML

They delivered an unfinished product which doesn't count for anything in the business world. It's as if you went to your manager and handed him partially finished report. Guess what would happen.:)
    bradaz85 and Terrasque like this.
  7. igncom1

Different circumstances, selling to customers is not like filling out paperwork.

And don't pretend it is just because this little analogy is cute and fun to say.
  8. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Sorry igncom1, but you simply can't defend their claim of 'delivering their kickstarter' when what they delivered was half of it. Yes, they delivered SOMETHING. That doesn't make it fulfill their kickstarter promises, especially considering how extremely clear they were about delivering offline mode / local servers. And I'm not talking about the promo video even, like the unit cannon and so on - I'm talking about the no DRM, local / offline servers, etc.

If you ordered 15 things from Amazon, and they delivered 12 of those items and said "Delivery Complete!" you would be pretty pissed, even if the 12 items were perfectly good.
    ace63, bradaz85, nawrot and 6 others like this.
  9. igncom1

You are still getting hook up on the specifics, I agree its a raw end of the deal but frankly they delivered a product, that is correct.

I am not arguing if it was the correct product, or that the product works, or that the product is even good.

Only that it was, delivered.

I am not defending anything here, and if you think I am, then you are not reading my posts.

Factually, they delivered a product, and that is correct, they did deliver "a" product.
    DeadStretch likes this.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

They say like every week that they are working on serverside.

With that being said, are people only allowed to sell and ship 1 item at a time on amazon, and not sell or ship to any other customers until they complete their previous customer? That would make amazon pretty clogged very fast.
  11. lokiCML

Commitments our commitments. My word is my bond. Kickstarters make contractual obligations is just that nobody's willing or knows about it to enforce them. So went Uber said in their previous one is that all stretch goals will be part of the release. That created a contractual obligation for them to do that. It's just that KS backers tend to be naïve when it comes to law. In a common law system contracts are created when you enter into a agreement with other partie(s) either implied or explicit. The parties also considerations and eventually make an offer. they all must accept the terms that it comes legally binding. Or kickstarter terms of service.;)
    elkanfirst likes this.
  12. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

They don't, actually, say it every week. Which is part of the problem. Nobody knows anything about the progress or what is going on. And then they announce this, and DRM-free and local servers / offline play are conspicuously missing from the new kickstarter. Quite a change from PA's kickstarter! So this game, based on PA's engine . . . will be online only?

Secondly, as a customer, if you order something, you expect to get everything that is in the product description. They even admit that it should be there by saying they're still working on it - so why call it 'Delivered on our kickstarter promises' when they haven't, actually, done so?

Imagine that they went to 1.0 without doing Gas Planets. Wouldn't you feel a little disturbed if they said 'oh they are still coming eventually, but we have delivered everything we set out to do in the kickstarter'

I have no issue whatsoever with them starting a new project. Kudos to them. Just don't bullshit the customers by making obviously false claims.
    ace63, bradaz85, Malisane and 5 others like this.
  13. igncom1

So you are complaining about what businesses have been doing for ever?

The video game industry is still an industry, yet people are astonished when they do business like things.

Why? What ever happened to a healthy amount of cynicism for all? When did we become hopeful enough to actually be upset by it?

Ubers actions, whether true or not, are frankly, par for course.
    DeadStretch likes this.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

[​IMG]
    They literally do say it every week. Besides, if it is build on the PA engine, that means if PA continues working on and releases serverside, then Human Resources should have serverside too.

But that would be an excellent and capital point for the devs to touch on in adamant assurance through direct communication. They should just lay out, that since PA Engine is working on serverside, that Human Resources is guranteed drm-free state by affiliation.

Attached Files:

15. sierra159

sierra159 Member

I can't support Uber for this decision, especially with PA in the current state that it is in now. But I will wish them good luck in this endeavor. I feel that this was definitely announced at a bad time. The devs should have waited a bit and polished PA some more before announcing Human Resources.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

one of the devs said more than half the team is working on PA and not HR.

Edit: I don't think it's the same size team, but seeing as they already have an engine they won't need as many tech guys, mostly art guys who would be sitting around doing nothing without HR and programmers for the game itself.
    lokiCML likes this.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

18. lokiCML

Which is why there are such things as contracts.;)
  19. pizzapotamus

pizzapotamus Member

Well since they've already proven so trustworthy there's no sane choice but to take them at their word that PA won't suffer at all for their glorious new project</scarcasm>
    ace63, bradaz85, nawrot and 3 others like this.
  20. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

I don't blame Uber for pushing another KS, the timing may seem unfortunate, but it'd be much more unfortunate for them to have to lay-off half their staff who are no longer useful to PA as really pretty much all the art/sound/design is complete, it's just technical mopping up.

But I agree that "33 days to solidify the commitment to Save/Offline/Servers" is reasonable. Not even delivery of any of these features in this time line, but just the time line itself for when the features may be testable and seen in PTE.
    NERDsEd, kjotak109 and dom314 like this.