A Note To Planetary Annihilation Fans About Human Resources

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, October 2, 2014.

1. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Cross-posted from the PA blog and Kickstarter:

tl;dr: today, we announced a new Kickstarter for a strategy game. Plans for Planetary Annihilation’s development will be unaffected. Human Resources’ team is a separate team.

Today, we busted out a new Kickstarter for a new strategy game called Human Resources. Built on the same engine that you helped us create for Planetary Annihilation, Human Resources expands on the scale and destruction you’ve come to love in exciting and different ways. We realize that some of you might take this news as concerning, so we wanted to come out and say this: work on Planetary Annihilation will not stop if Human Resources funds; both games will have a team dedicated to these separate projects.

In other words, things will stay the same. A Planetary Annihilation team will continue its amazing work on the game, and you’ll keep receiving new updates with new features, fixes, and mechanics. Meanwhile, a separate team will roll into pre-production on Human Resources.

What’s pre-production? It’s the first phase of game development. It’s the time where we sandbox and define features, game mechanics, and systems. Then, we begin to build any new technology that we need to support it. We’ll sketch out how we can accomplish our goals and when. It’s a pretty exciting phase where we create new worlds and possibilities.

Games are evolving. You don’t just “finish” them anymore. We see them as services, as active things that grow over a length of time. Planetary Annihilation’s vision has been achieved or else we wouldn’t have launched it, but that was just one journey. We embarked on a more adventurous one the second we updated it to 1.0.

This is a very, very exciting time for us. Words suck at expressing how much we love all you guys for your incredible passion and support. Planetary Annihilation wouldn’t exist without you — and we plan to keep it going. If you’d like to check out Human Resources and become one of humanity’s new overlords, please do so. We’d love your support.

Prepare to have your eyes melted.

Thanks,

Uber Entertainment <3

PS: Sorry for the eye melting.

PPS: But it was worth, right?
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Dunno. Can't see.

Everyone emphasise this everywhere.
  3. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

you gotta be fking kidding me man? brad.... what the hell dude? PA is far from finished... whether its a different team or not, moving focus away from PA is seriously going to pee a heck of a lot of people off... you guys should not be doing this yet.

was going to buy a friend PA for the new sale on steam at the moment, but heck, I cannot guarentee that PA will ever get completed at this stage now so i am going to hold off on that now
    ace63, bradaz85, nlaush and 13 others like this.
  4. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

this is a business they need to and want to work on more rts games, be happy friend.
  5. allister

allister Active Member

Really should have put one or two sentences about that in the video
    Quitch likes this.
  6. ataman

ataman New Member

So pathfinding in PA is gonna be fixed soon (bringing actual terrain features back on planets)?
    Because with the current pathfinding Human Resources doesn't look like it's going to happen. :D
    radongog, bradaz85 and Planktum like this.
  7. superouman

superouman Post Master General

What does "eye melting" mean in this sentence?
  8. zagra

zagra New Member

Well, yeah, just like we are consumers and want to get more bang for our buck. Can't see a reason to be happy if the product I bought it's not yet finished even if I paid for it 2 years ago.
    bradaz85, cmdandy, Uggeli and 2 others like this.
  9. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

No it haven't, there is still no lan and offline mode. Something that should have been in when you went to 1.0. Also where is my ability to host my own dedicated server? As long as those features aren't in PA, I will not back any project from Uber, since I can't trust that you put in all features that's promised.
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Meaning it will stop if HR does not fund ? o_O
    BooberSmack, bradaz85, vyolin and 4 others like this.
  11. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Second that. Some of the features from the new kickstarter look nice (especially cutting planets in half!), but PA is NOWHERE from finished yet.

It's playable, but it still has tons of unpolished stuff, missing features and a severe lack of infrastructure.
    ace63, bradaz85, vyolin and 8 others like this.
  12. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It means "the trailer is so good that just watching it has turned your eyes into goo."
  13. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

Did they dig a themselves into a hole? Can they deliver interplanetary multi unit transport for large army assaults , ladder, unit canon, balancing,save game feature, offline play, orbital fixes,ect or big chunks of these things? Will they rise to the challenge and get more backers? Will they drop the ball,and lose that money? So exciting! Could mean big or crappy things for pa.
    vackillers likes this.
  14. Yazilliclick

Yazilliclick Member

I don't think anybody has a problem with them really working on other future projects but when you're looking for money up front again for another title and putting this to largely the same people who paid for it while it's still unfinished... well don't expect everyone to be very happy or OK with that.

I'm more upset about it because this looks like a really cool little game I'd like to support but there's no way in hell I feel I can justify paying upfront for another Uber game with where things stand with PA and events over it's development.
  15. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Eh... This is too soon IMO. Looks like a fun game, but too soon.

Even though half the team is working on PA, people are still gonna be really upset, concerned, and create lots of bad publicity. IMO, Uber should have waited until offline, saves, and server. Then announced the Kickstarter. Imagine a Monday and then Tuesday announcements or something. Or Thursday and then Friday. That would have been pretty cool.

But oh well. Let the bad press commence.
    ace63, bradaz85, Terrasque and 14 others like this.
  16. BadIronTree

BadIronTree New Member

You have 33 days to "fix" PA
    save system and offline mode ? :p :p
    bradaz85, nawrot, elkanfirst and 9 others like this.
  17. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

Don't forget local server, and lan mode.
    radongog, bradaz85, nawrot and 5 others like this.
  18. davidwmiller

davidwmiller New Member

No matter how you justify or object to uber taking on new projects, one simple reality is that 100% of a team will not be able to be fully utilized at all stages of production on a project.

Sure, you can say PA isn't done, and you may be right, but there is no way absolutely all staff at uber can be assigned to PA at this stage to achieve any decent level of productivity. You either start firing people or you assign them something new.

Of course, from a marketing perspective it's risky business to attempt a kickstarter prior to achieving satisfaction among the previous kickstarter backers.

Anyhow, I'll be backing in a moment.
    Last edited: October 2, 2014
  19. doud

doud Well-Known Member

You have 33 days left to provide a strong comitment regarding offline mode and local server.
    Until then i won't be in.
    glinkot, bradaz85, mered4 and 15 others like this.
  20. CryFisch

CryFisch Member

Paypal possible?