Game needs a real tutorial

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by void2258, September 29, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

TA was made during a time were players would simply go by trial and error. At least I did. Was a ton of fun.
    While I agree that PA is missing some crucial feature so far, "finished" is a pretty lose term. What is finished? You can always come up with a feature that just HAS to be part of finished that is not yet done, resulting in never releasing at all.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I agree, why do people need to be spoon fed when they can play an ai skirmish on easy and figure it out themselves, if kids could do it in the 90s adults can do it in the 2010+
    stuart98 and DalekDan like this.
  3. void2258

void2258 Member

Since when does absolute scale have anything to do with loading capacity of transports in RTS games?
  4. cola_colin

Well if we assume a lot of potential players are too lazy to figure it out themselves we need to offer them some help or we don't those players. And we want as many players as possible.
  5. void2258

void2258 Member

It's not necessarily about laziness. There are plenty of people who are afraid to even try pushing a button if they don't know what it will do, usually out of fear of breaking something. 'Figure it out by poking it' is not a natural way to work for some people, and those people will leave rather than even attempt to figure it out in that manner.
  6. squishypon3

But there's so much to teach, where does it stop? I assume it begin with explaining the economy and basic movement, left click to select units right to do actions, etc...
  7. squishypon3

Since not wanting to break the suspension of disbelief.
  8. cola_colin

But that's what computer games are all about.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Kids will often be going with the "trial and error" method, because they do not think as far as something breaking the game. Adults on the other hand are much more consistent, and by nature it is harder for adults to learn, it is much easier to learn children, and they will try themselves. Adults will believe they are pretty much done learnig, and otherwise they want to make sure that they have a trustworthy text or source of information that confirms stuff before trying themselves.
  10. cola_colin

I'll never become an adult :(
  11. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

12. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

What i meant is that the brain at that stage is fully developed, and won´t be open for such modifications as "learning new stuff", the brain think that it should have learned everything that is needed when it is done evolving.
  13. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

More like POOtorial

14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Kickstarted game. Less than 3 years development. On par development to a 5 year development game.

Yet I hear a lot of questions why a 5+ year game has this and that and why a kickstarted game structured for a year release and a tall plate of work can't just have a closed development for 5 years to release a game.

It is like asking for instant food to be as delicious as food that took a day to prepare. Why can't it taste as good? Well, it can, given longer to prepare it.
    DalekDan likes this.
  15. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I dunno since Supreme Commander?

The Astraeus isn't even a bottomless hull, there's no place to disguise infinity, it's literally a frame with rockets on it.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

I didn't say that I personally need a tutorial. I'm following this game for as long as most of you guys (more than a year anyway).

However, Uber isn't going to engage new players who've never seen TA, SC/2 or PA without a proper release. Part because reviews haven't been all sweet and nice, part because some backers and early access buyers are pissed, and part because new players get frustrated trying to play a game they might not grasp at first.

And a tutorial is quite a basic feature for a game the size of PA.

ps. Also, I've read few times from users on Reddit how TA and FAF are still vastly superior to PA. It might be unfair, but outside this forum people perceive PA way differently than in here.
  17. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I was honestly surprised to see a friend of mine end up completely confused about how to play the game. Not to mention seeing a SECOND friend who is something of an RTS vet in related games get confused about what's all available in PA. I'm like really?!
  18. spillblood

spillblood New Member

I'd say a proper manual (in pdf-format, still think every complex strategy game needs to have that) that explains all details of the game would be nice as well. The wiki is really confusing, and there's hardly any in-game explanation.
    DalekDan likes this.
  19. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Since WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet for RTS was invented?!
  20. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

seriously ten minutes? most of us backers just figured it out, sure some of us had played one or more of it's spiritual ancestors but really most of the game can be picked up in short (or long) skirmish with or without the AI. +1 for a tutorial though.