Planet Editor, select planets without clicking on it ?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by CyberFoxar, September 27, 2014.

1. CyberFoxar

CyberFoxar New Member

Hello !
    I've tried searching the forums for a similar request, but didn't found anything close. Also, I don't see any way to do some "feature request", so... here it goes.

I've been toying with the planetary editor for a while, and found out that it is really hard to make perfectly symmetrical systems. I'm something of a perfectionist, and find that, having to move a planet to select it (resetting its custom velocity and such) is really frustrating.

So i've thought of something that could easily be done, I guess. And that's this:
    Mokup.png
    Planet list in planet editor.
    And clicking on a planet in the list (Archeron, for example) bring us... 2014-09-27_00003.jpg
    This little window ! Where we can change all the things and properties. And this, without moving the planet.

Also, you can see a system where moving a planet is frustrating. All the orbits have been carefully picked and set, as well as the velocity (to give this 8 figure in the middle).
    And, with the move click thing, it is near impossible to adjust the properties of a planet without ******* up all those setting.

So... Is it that hard to implement ? Creating a list of planets, updating it while we make the system ?
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

OMG great idea!! I love it!

I have no idea how hard it would be to implement seeing as it wouldn't be the same string of code that allows you to have planet list in game since there's a big difference between the system editor where you can add and remove a planet at any time and in-game where the planet list is final and you can only hide items.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

In the latest PTE build clicking a planet doesn't move it.
    schuesseled192 and blockheadd like this.
  4. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

I came to the forums a few days ago just to make a thread about this. It's a common annoyance and I think it's getting fixed soon - but I haven't been able to ascertain if elliptical orbits still reset when you select planets in the new build. Hopefully not. At least they're certainly fixing the bug where all your planets become starting planets if you exit and reenter the editor...
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You can zoom into a planet from the system editor and it brings up to its properties I believe as well.
    totalannihilation and emraldis like this.
  6. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Since yall didn't listen to either Brian's thread nor @Geers post, they have fixed the issue where the planet moves if you click on it
  7. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

If you want symmetrical system, adjust poistion/velocity parameters manually, math might help here a lot.
  8. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Actually, I did read that but this problem is a bit different. And it turns out it's halfway fixed but not entirely.

Planet orbits no longer reset when selecting them, but if you move them at all they still do reset. So you still have to place the planet where you want it first, then adjust the tangent. Much better now than before though.
  9. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

I think this is intended, they reset the velocity whenever you change the position, so by standard it will always generate a regular circle orbit
    If the game didn't reset the velocity whenever you drag the planet around, it would generate ellipses that are the opposite of what you would like.
    vrishnak92 and squishypon3 like this.