It's time to talk unit ideas

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, September 30, 2013.

1. aggie2016

aggie2016 Member

I REALLY THINK THIS WOULD BE AWESOME
  2. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

The hovercraft tank (when hovercrafts inevitably get in) ought to have a fixed gun, and strafe, and be called "Bratbak" or "Sabre" or "Bratbak Sabre". Or Doty. Yes, I did put this into the C&D thread as well.

Edit with my butter tanks, since the hovertank ought to glide like butter.

Maslobak (Butter tank.)

Sciotos (I know of butter.)

Smørseisha (Butter tank.)

Smorbak (Butter tank.)

Masloseisha (Butter tank.)

Egomakkhana (I love butter.)

Egobak (I love tank.)

Egobakhana (I love butter tank.)

Vivoysmor (I live butter.)

Vivoybak (I live tank.)

Step 1: Go to google translate. Step 2: type in word and translate. Step 3: Take the syllables/words that you like. Step 4, repeat: go to another language with a different word, take the syllables/words that you like. Step 5: mash them together and see what you like. I should do this for hover butter tanks, but I'm all translated out.
    Last edited: July 11, 2014
  3. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

radar units and stealth units are on my personal wishlist.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  4. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

The orbital factory was a step in the right direction but I still wanna see a mothership or possibly a jumpgate (basically a teleporter for orbital units). But if nothing else, raiders hidden from radar would be damn nice...
    tunsel11 likes this.
  5. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I'd love to see hacker bots, that can capture units and structures through some kind red nanite spray.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  6. tigerwarrior

tigerwarrior Active Member

I want something with gatling guns XD T1 could just be arm mounted guns and T2 could have... all sorts of mounted guns XP Considering the shapes they come in.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

We did in RCBM! ;p

Mike
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

We also did it in Statera. Link is in my sig.

RCBM's is a T1 vehicle, ours is a T1 bot. Both are anti-anything.
  9. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Ahh

Cougars......

My favorite unit in RCBM so far. Thank you, kind sir.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well, to be fair there is only like, 3? New New units? Still a bunch more I want to see in-game yet! ;p

Mike
  11. Zenotheory

Zenotheory Member

Blink Transport Naval Ship - A naval ship that self teleport itself between planets.

Make it an aircraft carrier only that can only hold up to 20 aircraft per ship.
  12. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

I don't want to see a unit cannon anytime soon. As the developers have said, it will be too expensive to implement relative to what it gives. However I would like to see more planetary assault options.

Would it be more viable to create orbital assault craft? Something with pew-pew lasers like an Anchor, but much more carrying capacity than an Asteaeus. It would be awesome if it loaded groups of units as an Asteaeus does, but would unload them by firing out drop pods. I know it's a mess to make drop-pods but you guys are going to have to build them for the unit cannon some day, and at least these drop pods won't have to travel through space.

Alternatively if it just unloads a group of units by flying down and dropping them, or even just 'beaming them down' so that they just appear on the ground, then that would be cool too.
  13. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

How about making bombers drop retardant on forest fires if given an area assist command or some such? A way to protect your potential reclaim source...
  14. darkmecha

darkmecha Member

I played Homeworld and to a lesser degree Homeworld2 , I always loved the Salvage Corvette option... I used to get a real kick outta the opponents "WTF!!?!??!??!??!??!" when I would steal all their capital ships. For sure this would be different here. But I think some sort of Salvage unit would be awesome. Can't remember if SC had this feature. As I have been pretty much drunk 24/7 since then : just kidding.
  15. Venrez

Venrez New Member

So, despite backing PA on Kickstarter way, way long ago and only recently actually playing the game, I've also only just realized there was a Backers-Only lounge where we were supposedly able to decide on the names of the Factions and other stuff, which is now disappointingly set in concrete.

Oh well. I guess Synchronous will forever be boring.

On-topic, there are some serious gaps in the tech-tree currently.

> We need a strong Orbital unit, like a Space-Battleship, that can only attack other Orbital Units. The main function of this would be to soak up enemy fire when attempting to attack a world that is blanketed by Anchors ontop of the 800 Orbital Fighters the enemy already has stationed there.

> Perhaps we could also have a mobile Orbit-to-Ground Spaceship, with a weapon similar to the Anchor. Obviously it wouldnt do all that much damage, but it'd be nice to have the option of such without having to resort to either spamming Anchors or SSX platforms which do immense damage but have such a tiny direct-fire radius.

> We really, really need the Noah Unit Cannon back. Why was it removed? Is it still intending to be added? I am talking about the Artillery Cannon from the original trailer that loaded up units and fired them in little drop-pods to the target destination.

I am worried that we might not see this unit because there is wreckage of the Noah Cannon that you can sometimes find as an environmental doodad (object, like a Mountain).

There is a serious problem in-game in that if an enemy is alert and defending their (uncontested) world, it is virtually impossible to break through late-game. If an enemy controls 1 entire world, and you do too, assaulting them after any length of time becomes increasingly more impossible. They have a zillion Anchor platforms, a few hundred Orbital fighters, anti-nukes and Umbrellas on the ground and so much more.

It just becomes a lazy, dull mad-rush to send 50 Orbital Builders over there and insta-build a Teleporter, trying to hurriedly rush through as many units as possible to establish a foothold - which is then bombarded by all those previously mentioned Anchors, Holkins, Catapaults, other defences, bombers and their own ground army.

A Noah-Unit-Cannon would offer some interesting tactical choices. The Cannon itself must be appropriately expensive, but perhaps it would also cost a small amount of metal by manufacturing the drop-pod shells to launch the units with. It would do so automatically, but maybe 30-100 metal per unit loaded and fired?

I might also suggest that the Noah could only continuously-fire 20-30 units per volley at a time before needing time idle to "cooldown". This would help prevent continual spam of units to a given location, like directly ontop of an enemy Commander.

Units-in-Transit via the Noah Cannon could be shot down by Umbrellas and Anchors to help balance this further. Consider the movement of the Unit-Drop-Pod like a Nuclear Missile when interplanetary, as it then becomes a parabolic artillery shell once in-atmosphere.

You may say 'Oh, but 20-30 units isnt enough', thats why given the resources, you would build multiple Noah Cannons. Just enough to get a force on the ground so that you can make planetfall and build a Teleporter without it being immediately flattened.

You could also use the Noah to strategically drop units by exposed Metal Extractors or Power Generators outside of the main enemy base on an opposing World.

> There is word that Uber is working on adding Gas-Giants next. How will these worlds work when you currently NEED land in order to build a teleporter in order to get significant numbers of units through? Pelicans and the Orbital-Landers are virtually useless in terms of transporting anything significant and Gas-Giants dont have any land to even land on.

> Hovertanks would be a good idea.

> We dont have any Submarines and yet T2 amphibious assault robots can utterly annihilate any opposing Navy regardless of size. Currently, Naval units are simply useless.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Read the quote. :D
  17. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

I posted this in the RCBM thread, and I think it's a rad unit design. I would rather it be more a psychological hindrance than a powerful unit, ala the RCBM Holkins.

It is tier 2, an aircraft, and costs a fair deal of metal. With a wide turning arc and high maximal velocity, it is not maneuverable. It has a fixed (or nearly so), long-range, rapid-fire Gatling gun on the nose with a low damage projectile with a smidgen of constant cone of fire. Its effectiveness against a single target will increase roughly linearly as it closes the gap. Being fast, it will outrun most, if not all, missiles, and since it cannot stop to repair it should prove no problem if it has a high health, so that quite a few passes are ensured against regions with little air protection. It is a unit with high commitment and satisfactory range of possible return on investment.

The variations that could be given to cone of fire (bloom, inverse bloom, none) and the traits that could be given to its damage are such that I believe it is a worthy template to build off of just as a 'gunship' or 'bomber', yet what would it be called? 'Jet'.
  18. Zenotheory

Zenotheory Member

I think this one has been mention before but can't be bothered reading all 53 pages to find out.

Space Cruiser that is like an Anchor but mobile!
    powercube13 likes this.
  19. fullestdarklink

fullestdarklink New Member

I know that asteroids aren't in yet but i say have a orbit bot that can grab and toss a space rock at a planet like a space slinger or bastila and do aoe damage and creates craters ect countable by avengers and planetary artillery/nukes orbital lasers id call it skyfire or Monty Python or Mr. Spock or a few more

NOSTROMO

EVENT HORIZON

BETTY

boomstick

just a few with a random unit suggestion =D
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Actually anchors did used to move.