Invading a planet is impossible

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Bhaal, September 11, 2014.

1. leighzer

leighzer Member

I still think that more units should be implemented into the game such as:
    An armored trans-planet transport that can load up a decent sized army and drop in to the ground and create a beach head. A notable problem with this would be com sniping, a mechanic to force beachheads to be made a certain distance from a commander would have to be implemented (maybe make the unit extremely slow in its decent from orbital to ground to give ample time for the commander being attacked, but also give the transport high health so it is worth building and using). I'm just throwing ideas around but any unit like this be it a "mega" unit (where I don't know if uber plans to have "mega" units implemented in this game, although I've heard talk about them a long time ago) or a relatively inexpensive unit it should be implemented as a way to make interplanetary assault easier, diverse, and more enjoyable.
    Same goes for the unit cannon structure although I can see an argument for using teleporters, teleporters are a bit harder to use as the time you spend linking them moving your camera from one planet to another may cost you being discovered having a teleporter on the planet you intend to invade. I like teleporters as a cheap solution taking space not contested over, or being built once a beachead is established, but I feel that PA is lacking in a hard trans orbital mechanic that allows the invasion of planets well taken over.
    What do you guys think?
  2. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

I believe I gave 3 options, technically 4.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Your first idea can only be a joke, I have tackled your second, your third doesn't solve the situation, and the 'forth' doesn't either.

So I have so idea what you are getting at about actually giving good options.
  4. darktactics

darktactics Member

I think I would have to agree that commander sniping can be a bit dull. It's a let down to know I can win any game after the early game stage, with a handful of orbital radars and either ssx lasers or a bunch of nukes. I like to stretch the game out at the later stages with good tactical options. I often just nuke the halleys to force the AI enemy commander to build units, just so I can have a better war with him. I try to forget I can end him with a snipe at any time.

10 nukes and 10 orbital radars is all you need against the AI at any later stage of the game. With human opponents its a little different of course but sniping is always do-able in one way or another.

Made me laugh that did. :D
  5. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

What's also extremely dull is anchor creeping. It's the most annoying thing ever. Because anchors can't be taken out by orbital units since that's what they are made to fight and you can't build Umbrellas beneath them since they blow them up. Anchro creep is just ridicilous. Yeah, yeah I know "You should have the umbrellas before the fabber army comes" etc etc. It's extremely hard to break anchor's, especially if they have anti nukes beneath them. That's just the "unpenetratable fortress" combo as long as you spam the anchors.
  6. igncom1

I don't like that they can shoot ground targets.
  7. schuesseled192

Then we are back to cheap snipes being plan a. And that's fine just don't complain about getting sniped.
  8. igncom1

I don't! at least not when the games mechanics allow you to prevent it .
  9. schuesseled192

Which they don't incidentally. Air shouldn't stack and orbital shouldn't have this immortal transient stage, then sniping would require a bit more effort and be far easier to prevent.
  10. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Umbrellas ever so slightly outrange Anchors. Plus you can focus fire Anchors using Avengers so you will always win the orbital battle against them.
  11. schuesseled192

Yes stacking avengers makes killing anchor's incredibly easy. However if they have umbreallas under them you'll run out of avengers fairly speedily.
  12. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

So nuke the target instead, it sounds like it's justified if they're building some epic Umbrella and Anchor defence around it.
  13. frankablu

frankablu Member

Inter-planetary nuke, build a gate via satelite and send your units through.
  14. stinkestiefel

stinkestiefel New Member

But that´s the point though. Building mass nukes isn´t fun!
    I suggest introducing the unit cannon wich can only be fired if the target(Planet) is in an specific radius and interplanetary transport vessels as well. Just like an Astreus only bigger.
  15. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

i agree Larg planets with anti-orbital is hard enotu and sworms of Air forces but now nukes kill everything! even Orbital i just lost a test match vs the AI it was one sand planet and one Gas planet i fleed to the gas planet with y commander and orbital builder then my base was destroyed i had 35 orbital builders i was building Archors spam to destroy some of the Ani-orbital towers then a nuke was fired i tryed to move my orbital builders out of the way but the move to slow the nuke hit and i lost all of them i can think of 2 fixes relly

A.some Orbital platfourms that only can be built on Gas planets so you can make a army clear a zone then invade

B.if there is more then one landable planet-Unit caannon load units up and fire take out the nuke launcher orbital builders fly in teleporter bring the rain
  16. FUNKANATON

FUNKANATON New Member

orbital battleships to bombard a planet would be nice if they werent too OP