What if there was a flying commander?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by reptarking, September 20, 2014.

1. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I am making a server mod and thinking of modding a commander to kestral model and giving it more DPS to match the ground commanders, making it slow enough to where it does not just own they skys by itself? idk thoughts?
    bradaz85, Remy561 and cptconundrum like this.
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

as a mod it would be a good idea to try out.

Actually i still think, giving the different commanders some kind of gameplay difference, would be nice. Harder to balance, but still nice. Of course... not every 1000 commander should have diff. skills. but like 4 different sets or such.

Flying could be cool too :)
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I've already summarized the system Neutrino proposed initially, unfortunately none of it came to pass. It's old, but still worth a read if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Mike
  4. thetbc

thetbc Member

Did you see Command and Conquer 4 gameplay? The game itself is really bad but changing the commanders to make them a bit stronger and more of a fighting and mobile unit as the game progressed would be a cool change.
    gerii likes this.
  5. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Would love to see some differences in commanders as in bot/vehicle and air style. Also when are the different weapons coming? :)
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Commanders currently do have different anti-ground weapons, the laser, cannon and rocket.
  7. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Sounds like an interesting idea. However, since there's fewer units and defences that can shoot it, and it can escape more easily (by flying over that water / lava / ridge / mountain), maybe you'd need to reduce it's health?

I dunno, I can foresee you having a hard time balancing it - good luck! :)
    masterevar likes this.
  8. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

9. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Ah, I always thought the different arms the commanders had were for different kinds of uber cannons ;)
  10. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I'm thinking fighter snipes
  11. feyder

feyder Member

This would be an interesting to try as a mod. I can imagine if someone knew they're opponent was a flying commander they would be more inclined to go air first but as we know that's risky.
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

wouldn´t want it in vanilla to be honest ... but as mod? sure why not ...
    this makes me think of something better actualy ... why not make it like an airmech transforming between the two? unless you were talking about that already ...
  13. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

only time i would think flying commanders are cool is on gas giants, dont want to keep them in weak kestrals. but then again, its only my opinion (i love my opinion of course....but its an opinion of a random internet guy lol)
  14. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Why not some kind of exosuit that can be built into the commander to allow flight capability?
  15. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I still think fighter sniping would be a problem, and shooting the uber cannon at air would be a pain, because if you accidentally miss the planet it would shoot at the ground.
  16. planktum

planktum Post Master General

Has this actually been implemented? I've only eve seen uber cannons...
  17. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Im making a flying commander in a server mod im making. im using the Hornet or the Kestral Model then adjusting its stats to commander like levels and then trying to balance it to it's type
  18. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

It´s the main weapons that are different, i know that theta for example is using a rocket launcher when firing.
  19. planktum

planktum Post Master General

Oh you mean their normal weapon, not the Uber cannon?
  20. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Yes