How did the wider reception of PA change your personal opinion?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drz1, September 17, 2014.

1. fredegar1

fredegar1 Member

I thought SupCom 2 was more micro-based? Games and maps tended to be smaller than in FA.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

You can micro, but in the current patch, its still macro based.
  3. igncom1

Because I thinks SupCom 2 was better then FA.
  4. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

you ought not joke about these things.
    pieman2906 and cmdandy like this.
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

[Mr. Plinkett voice]
    That is the stupidest question I have ever read in my entire life.
    [/Mr. Plinkett voice]

Okay seriously though, how would the public opinion of something change my opinion? I have fun playing the game, I see its flaws, but I still enjoy the game enough to like it despite those flaws, and no amount of "no exprementals 0/10 wurst gayme evar!@!" can change that.
    drz1 likes this.
  6. igncom1

Why, it's so much fun!

But yeah, supcom2 is a fun casual macro experience, FAF is a great casual/competitive experience.
  7. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I think I stated my own opinion quite well in my own review of PA.

All that release did was show me how toxic the gaming community could be.
  8. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

It took you until the release of PA to realize that?
  9. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

No, but the release took toxic to a whole new level.
    Nicb1 and squishypon3 like this.
  10. Lukekk

Lukekk New Member

To see a silver lining, I think uber will learn a lesson in publishing from all of this since this was self pubbed. PA is basically their second PC game they've released. I think they just need to have outside consolation before releasing. I really see nowhere to go but up for PA though.
  11. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

For me the silver lining is that PA's sales figures have shown that there is a lot of interest for this type of game, unlike everybody expected. So, given the proof that there is interest maybe we will see other developers make other games of this kind.
    cmdandy and squishypon3 like this.
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

my opinion hasnt realy changed on pa ... the reviews merely reflected the current issues of pa that we as forumers knew long before imo ..
    however i still consider PA as a very unique personal experience
    and still think the game itself has massive ammounts of potential ... as others said it is right now a rough underapreciated buried in dirt gem .. but that rough gem is BIG ... and i am waiting for they day it gets polished around its edges and finaly shining as a prime example what still can be possible rts gamewise ...
    Last edited: September 18, 2014
    Nicb1 likes this.
  13. Auraenn

Auraenn Active Member

Why should other peoples' thoughts on the game change my opinion?
    I see the game's faults and I don't need other peoples' opinions to develop my own.
    Supreme Commander or TA will always be a better game but that doesn't mean the devs aren't trying to make it the next best thing. I respect that.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this. After long consideration and analisys of each game, this is pretty much the conclusion I have come to. the two are games are orriented towards a different public, which explains the flop: it's fans were expecting something else.

that doesn't make it a bad game or a game that's not fun, it just probably should have worn a different name, and things would have come out much better.
    squishypon3 and igncom1 like this.
  15. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

After playing the clan wars game over the weekend I was pretty disappointed with the released game. Orbital remains boring and stale. Server speed made a 30 mins game time take over 1hr and could have went on for several more if it was for us deciding to call it a draw.

People's reviews just highlight most of the issues and havnt seen one that mentions the actual server which I would say is the single biggest issue. No idea how people can play orbital or team games.
    raphamart and cmdandy like this.
  16. igncom1

Indeed, the servers are the biggest issue, not something silly like the unit cannon.
  17. Biestie

Biestie Member

Public opinion didn't make me change my mind about this game. I still have a lot of fun, but I can see the issues. At the moment I would recommend PA only to RTS enthusiasts, ( I consider myself as such one^^) so a 6-7 out of 10 is an ok score for the game at the moment.
  18. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

This game is a solid 6/10 in my book and it looks like Metacritic agrees.
    Biggest issue is the lack of server release limiting the scale to 20-30 minute 1-3 planet games.
    Simply, this game advertises massive scale but does not deliver; much like Bungie's Destiny released on the same week.
    igncom1 likes this.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I loved Destiny. :D
  20. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

So do I, mostly because I didn't have such high expectations out of it.
    I expected a colorful yet solid FPS and that is what I got.

I draw a comparison because the reviews reflect that fact that expectations were not achieved.
    And these expectations are seeded by advertising. It is hard to give positive reviews when you are disappointed, when something that could have been great is just good/average.