How did the wider reception of PA change your personal opinion?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drz1, September 17, 2014.

1. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Given that PA is now "out in the wild" and being judged as a "released product", has it altered your own opinion of it?
    Personally, I liked it before launch, and despite the reception making me slightly more critical of the launch issues, I have found my general opinion of the game improve, probably because defending the game against (some) baseless accusations has made me realise what has been achieved in the time.

I suspect for others, it has tainted their overall opinion instead.

It would be nice to know what proportion of new players were bothered or not by the launch brouhaha too.
    cptconundrum, DeadStretch and cdrkf like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Personally, I'm proud.

Also I almost forgot!

>INB4 Flame War.
    Last edited: September 17, 2014
    drz1, melhem19 and cdrkf like this.
  3. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Like a lot of people have observed, there wasn't much of a brouhaha.

But yeah, my opinion hasn't changed at all by the opinions of others. Rock in the middle of the waves and all that.
    Nicb1, drz1, DeadStretch and 2 others like this.
  4. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

Despite knowing about Uber's interpretation of the concept of release and the imminent schedule, I had still - subconsciously, perhaps - hoped for significant changes and improvements before an "official release". And while the team did put in a lot of work, and while the game has certainly improved slightly, and while Uber never made a secret of what they thought of the release process and schedule ... I'm kinda disappointed.

I had hoped for more. Release is a milestone for so many things, and I feel PA fell short from its potential (at that point).
    cmdandy likes this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Personally it didn't change anything for me- I'm playing in an active community with some great people and enjoying the game. It saddens me that for a variety of reasons the superb game that is PA isn't easily accessible to many which is the main reason for the harsh criticism. I've taken the position that where someone is frustrated but willing to listen I'll do my best to help them enjoy the game.
  6. fredegar1

fredegar1 Member

The steam reviews remind me of Youtube comments on an Alex Jones video. Ugh.

What few professional reviews exist seem to be generally fair; they enjoyed the game and wanted to see it succeed, but were annoyed by lack of offline play and matchmaking/ranking.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  7. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

it great, but pity no offline at release.

better have it good than broken
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Oh thats easy, Uber released the game to early
  9. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Would you believe me if I said I kinda half expected it to turn out this way?
    Again? Or better yet I hoped it didn't turn out this way, again.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't really think Uber decided to release because they felt that the game is ready to release. Something did push them somehow. Who knows what. They are sadly not almighty and can't do whatever they want all the time. I'd really wish they were though.
    I would've wished for more openes about it, as a constant "we think it was ready and looks good released" is just plain weird when it stands against some features missing that were promised to be part of the release since years and most reviews going "totally unfinished game". I just can't believe Uber itself is that happy with the release like this.
    Though they've made clear they do not want to talk about it, so no point in wasting more time on this topic. Better to respect Uber's decision on it and look into the future.
    As long as development continues I am happy and the game is already a lot of fun to me and bound to get even better. I am still highly anticipating PA's future.
    Clopse, Nicb1, Bsport and 7 others like this.
  11. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Yeh, I am still optimistic about the game's future. And I'll be happy as long as most of you lot are still around in 6 months to play with ;)
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be SMNC 2: Eletric Boogaloo. :p
  13. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Didn't change my opinion in the slightest, the things I love about the game I still love with a passion and the things that I hated about the game I still hate because of things left out or features not included in release. Public opinion doesn't change how I feel and it shouldn't to anyone, if you like the game you should still like it no matter what.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I like supcom 2, so......yeah I love PA.
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I almost put "nothing" magic conch video, but it's not grammatically correct, so please read the following in the voice of the magic conch shell :

- not at all.
  16. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

What on earth does SupCom 2 have to do with PA? How does liking SupCom 2 make you like PA? That statement makes PA look worse imo...
    Taxman66 and cmdandy like this.
  17. igncom1

SupCom 2 is a macro based rts much like PA.

My bar for liking games is really low, so it didn't take much to impress me.

And the statement only makes PA look worse if you believe it was bad anyway.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

its the general consensus, though :p
    igncom1 likes this.
  19. igncom1

20. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

SupCom2 is a lesser version of SupCom. So why compare your liking of PA to your liking of SupCom's unworthy successor?

And yes, I think it's bad.
    cmdandy likes this.