[WIP] Papa texture editor v0.4.1

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by DeathByDenim, February 7, 2014.

1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I think you might need to add that package and add it to the static linking list or just manually add the libwinpthread-1.dll file to you app folder before sending.
  2. maxpowerz

-lpthread -L libwinpthread-1.dll might be the command to add/link the dll
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Ok, I dropped the static linking stuff and just dropped in all the DLL's that it was complaining about in Wine. That seemed to have done the trick. Try it now from the same download link that I've just updated.
  4. maxpowerz

I'll grab it now and test it, i have had no internet over the last week.
  5. maxpowerz

Bingo..
    All Thumbs Up :D
    It works as it should .. :D

The updated 0.3.2 windows build works with all the extra DLL's dumped in the program's root dir.
  6. deltablu26

deltablu26 New Member

Here I am, I have downloaded the .zip version of your program....
    When I start I from the .zip Avast scan it and, after the scan, avast tell me that everything is ok.
    I click on file and then I select the folder with the files I need to see, the commander model isn't in it.
    The folder is in my desktop but, I have also tried to open the normal commanders folder with the same result.
    When the process begin the program crash when it is loading the first file, I see this from the cmd window of the program....
    That's it....
    Nothing less, nothing more.
    P.s. I have tried unziping the file with winrar, with whis avast controll only one time.
    P.P.s Even with the commander model inside the folder the program crash.
    Last edited: October 8, 2014
  7. deltablu26

deltablu26 New Member

8. DeathByDenim

Thanks! I was unable to reproduce it though.
    papatextureditor.png
    I went through the code to find suspect stuff and all I could find was a minor memory leak, which wouldn't cause a crash like that. I'll mess around with it some more.
  9. deltablu26

deltablu26 New Member

Ok, let me know when the program is ready again.
  10. DeathByDenim

Question: Do you use 32-bit Windows by any chance?
  11. DeathByDenim

Ok, I found something. It should be fixed now. A new version, 0.4, is up now.
  12. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Are these the actual resolution of the textures? any chance they can be exported as DDS files? O-o
  13. DeathByDenim

Yup, those are the actual resolutions. Actually, the papafiles are very close to DDS files. Specifically, the DXT1 and DXT5 textures. (The status bar in the texture editor tells you the format.) I think to get the DDS file from the papa, you just need to extract the image data and slap a DDS_HEADER on it. That's useful to have as opposed to PNG?
  14. brandonpotter

Perhaps. It was easy to extract team colours from Forged Alliance Unit DDS files, and was hoping it would be the same here. When their DDS's were loaded in paint.net, only the actual 'team colour' was visible, and the rest was transparent.

With the PNGs, I have to use Photoshop to use the wand to select different colours and do stuff with them, making them look baaaad XD

Granted, its only used for 3d renders of stuff so its easier to design units :p
  15. DeathByDenim

Uber does all its work in PNGs as well. Actually, there is a neat post from bgolus about PNG and Photoshop here. I'm not sure that papatran would even accept dds files. Probably not.

I must admit that I have no idea how texturing works in PA (even though I wrote this thing :)).
  16. brandonpotter

Bah, They make things so difficult. Dont understand why they dont use the same format of DDS files for PA like how FA uses. It could save space, as well as allow higher res images.
  17. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

As @DeathByDenim mentioned, .papa files are very similar to .dds files. The image data is in exactly the same format.

The .dds file format is really just a container file, just like .mov or .avi which might both be a video file encoded in h.264.

So why are they in the .papa format verses something else? Because we never originally intended to ship the game with any .papa files. The original intent was everything would be in .fbx and .png with .json or .settings files to define the format then dynamically load models and compress textures on the fly. These would get cached in the .papa format internally at runtime.

Shipping .fbx files never happened at all, and , but early Alpha players might remember shipping .png files for units. That died because loading the .png files and converting to a compressed format was showing up as a performance problem as well as causing weird bugs where some units and effects would be invisible if they were the first time a texture was used. The quick fix was to pre-convert them to .papa files, a container format we already had and that they were already being converted to internally.

We released Papatrans because of this. It might seem bizarre, but that really is what we use internally, though hidden behind a build pipeline that sets the magic flags to get things into the right format.
    Last edited: October 15, 2014
    DeathByDenim and LavaSnake like this.
  18. DeathByDenim

Oops, I introduced a bug with the previous 0.4 bug fix. It would corrupt the DXT5 textures. Fixed now in 0.4.1.
  19. brandonpotter

Ah I get it now... If only there was a .papa plugin for 3ds Max now XD
  20. DeathByDenim

Well, look at the .papa plug-in for Bblender and start porting. ;)